Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Planchet" and "flan" - are the terms interchangeable?

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
And if not, what's the difference? I see both used in the context of a coin blank, but "flan" seems to be used more often in ancient and medieval coinage. An older term, perhaps?

(Yeah, and "flan" is also a custardlike Mexican dessert, I know.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Flan is a dessert... isn't it? Oh, wrong board!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    planchet - pre strike
    flan - post strike
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Planchet refers to pre-strike, sure. But after the strike, when it ceases to be a blank piece of metal, wouldn't it be called a COIN, instead? Why is there a need for pre-strike/post-strike terminology for a blank piece of metal?

I thought it might be something like Aethelred posted. But it seems strange to me. Maybe the fact that I wonder about it at all is symptomatic of a bit too much time on my hands...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    To my understanding flan and blank are interchangable, flan and planchet are not. The flan or blank is the piece of metal punched out of the strip, after it has had the edge upset and is ready for striking it becomes a planchet. After or post-striking it is a coin, not a flan, blank, or planchet.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Interesting description, Conder. Perhaps that's why the term planchet isn't used for medieval coins, since in many cases, edges weren't upturned, but simply left alone after the coin's "flan" was cut out.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AHA!

Thank you, Conder. I posted this on the Liteside forum instead of the Darkside, just so you might see it. I knew you'd be the one to aswer it. image

• Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    That's the first I've heard of that term. Personally I don't care for it, I prefer the term blank. Curiously I could not find flan listed in my Webster's. image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting question LM ! Thanks conder .
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file