Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Merc. Dime experts: Help needed on Errors-DD

Hello experts! I need your help on 2 new dimes I bought today. Here are the descriptions. I'd post a pic but I can't take less than a 150Kb pic with my Sony Dig. camera. I would be happy to email pics if you are seriously interested.

1945d- Grade-VG probably, Very distinct doubling of 1945, Liberty also doubled. The collector also labled it " small d/cat rim." I don't know what that means? The date is really cool!! The doubling all occurs to the North and East. It can be seen with the naked eye.

1944s- grade VG probably. The date is Doubled, and the flip is labled, " Cud at R, D/b wing to rim, Double date + liberty east." Any guesses or input here?

Thanks for your help! I just can't turn down weird coins when I see them. Any ideas on values is also appreciated. I am trying to learn about error coins.

Thanks guys...and gals......M. in OhioimageThe wave is saying thank you, by the way!!

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    They could be machine doubling. The dies bounce on the plancet causing what appears to be doubling.
    The easiest way to tell if it is machine doubling is to look a the double areas. If they are flat that would indicated machine doubling.

In Treasure Hunting Mercury Dimes; Wexler & Flynn there are no double dies listed for the date/mm combination in which you have.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay