Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Especially today, it's wise to ask why........

a dealer has a raw Morgan in what appears to be high grade in his case. I make this comment because of our discussion about AT'd coins that had previously been cleaned, etc.

Over the last few years, I've seen a number of what otherwise appeared to be high grade raw Morgans offered for sale. My advice to new-comers to the hobby is to be highly suspicious of these pieces. To me, there's a reason they're raw.....and it usually isn't a good one.image

GSAGUY

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    GSAGUY,

If you had a raw Morgan in your case, would it be safe to buy it from you? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    You know what is sad Bryan is that there will always be someone to come along who think they will get something for nothing, buy the doctored coin, then complain about the grading service when it gets BB'ed. I've come across several AT'ed coins, and all but one had serious issues under the AT, mostly cleaning.

Unless you really know what you are doing, you should not pay a premium for any "rainbow super duper monster" raw Morgan.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    dorkkarl disagrees!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the warning... Since returning to the hobby about 1 mo. ago, i've bought 5 Morgans, all raw except one. I noticed one coin did not have 100% of its luster (a little grayer than the rest)--the pinwheels were present yet subdued. When I removed the coin from its 2X2 yesterday (in preparation for submission) I noticed that 90% of the edge was electric blue, the other 10% coppery. It startled me for a moment, thought maybe the coin might be a cleaned NT or AT. However, this may just be a simple case of first submission paranoia...

• Options

<< <i>dorkkarl disagrees! >>

No...dorkkarl would probably say "Learn to grade yourself, dammit !" image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file