Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

how much of your collection is from circulation

in other words
how much of your collection is pocket-change just waiting for a day when they,ll be `valuable`

for me it must be like about 40-50%. the rest is mint and proof sets or the like (original packed stuff)
and only a few slabs ( maybe 10 or so )....ok i,m embarrassed now.

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Right now, probably about 10%. Before I got active in collecting again it was more like 70%.
  • Options
    Most of my collection is from circulation. I have a 20th century type set (including gold) that is not - all the rest is circulated.
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    Here come the semantics - the answer depends on how you define "how much" (uh oh, shades of Clinton). If you define it as current, estimated value (that opens another can of worms) than I would say that circulated (i.e., pocket change) makes up a small percentage of the value of my collection. If you define "how much" as the number of coins, then I probably have 40%-50% from circulation as I am working with my 5 year old to fill coin folders. The rest is either slabbed, from the mint, inherited or purchased at shows/shops. OK, enough babbling.
    Brian
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    it was quite a vague question `how much`
    i guess i was asking about total number of coins vs the estimated value of those coins.

....maybe to answer my own question then (total number of coins raw from circulation)
    it would have to be more than 50%
    maybe its more like 75-85%?
    i got a bunch of pennies and nickels

• Options
    I didnt pick them out of circulation my self but I have some that others picked out. 25%
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont understand the question. Is it how much of your collection is circulated or how much of your collection is Non silver post 1964 circulated.

John
  • Options
    10%.............and to be honest I didn't even think about it till you asked.
  • Options
    SpinynormanSpinynorman Posts: 603 ✭✭
    I've been pretty lucky and gotten some nice coins for face value through the bank (that counts as circulation, right?). Besides that it's just been a few varieties and the kids' coin albums.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    about 95-98% of my collection has been in circulation at a time but the ones I picked out of circulation maybe...75-80%?
  • Options
    How much of my collection was intended for circulation? Probably 90%. How much has actually circulated? Maybe 30% of that 90%. How many have I pulled out of circulation for my collection? Less than 1%.
  • Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    My wife works in the vault at the local Home Depot, so I'd say about 40-50% of my collection, being circ. silver I've educated her to bring home, comes from someone's pocket.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    0 %

Because when ever I find a good pocket change find, I either give it to my wife for her collection, or give it to a y.n.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Almost all of my collection was pocket change. . .but pocket change for people who died over a century ago.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I began collecting back in 1955, when there were a lot of collectible coins in circulation, so probably about 50% of the total number of coins in my collection are from circulation, but I doubt if they comprise even 10% of the total value today.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I pick a lot out of circulation but very little of it is waiting to become valuable. I know most of it will never be "collectable". Collecting coins as an investment strategy is a very tricky deal, as we all know, and I won't get near it. This is a hobby for me, nothing more.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have four quarter and one dime collection from circulation. There are some great coins in here
    and some are pretty scarce but most still have almost no premium.

I have two gem quarter collections. Only a few of these are from circulation and most, nearly all,
    of these are varieties which I haven't been able to locate in unc. This is also true for the gem cent,
    nickel, dime, half, and dollars collections. Many of these are ultra high grade and most, nearly all,
    are still raw.

So about 40% of my US coins are from circulation.

...And the other 60% is pocket change.image
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file