Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

why no 1975 quarters , halfs, or dollars

They minted Lincolns, Jeffersons and Roosevelts with that date.

It must have something to do with the bicentennial issue?

Comments

• Options
    Exactly.

Bicentennial quarters, half-dollars, and dollars were minted in 1975 and in 1976. In the late 70's it seemed like three out of every four dollars in your hand was a bicentennial.

I still remember my bicentennial shadow-box from fifth grade. Awwwww. Those were the days......silver was only $4-$5 and ounce. If I'd only known. image
    Go well.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The mint was afraid that the public would hoard the bicentennial coins and they wanted to make sure they had plenty on hand, so they struck the coins for a year and a half beginning in mid 1975. But this would have caused a problem with the 1975 coins being only produced for 6 months which would have made THEM subject to hoarding and shortages. To correct for that Congress passed legislation allowing the mint to freeze the 1974 date on all of the quarters, halves, and dollars struck duing the first half of 1975. So the 74 were stuck for a years and a half and so were the bicentennials.
  • Options
    joy of collecting ... silver is still 4 to 5 dollars an ounce. It would not be a very good investment to hold long term.
    right now almost 5.00 per ounce.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file