Home U.S. Coin Forum

so I get those put together 1962 CAM proof set on eBay...

and was in total shock when I opened the package -

I bought the story - pictures were so-so

story was how 20 years ago they hand selected some CAMS and put them in a capitol case - picture showed nice coins - but no mention at all about the penny, which I find bizarre

now I wish I would have bid more on the other 3 sets they had of years close to this -

the coins are all CAM/DCAM but I have no idea on the penny - it is green and red - cameo? never seen colors like this and since they did not mention the bizarre colors nor did it show in the picture, I doubt if they did anything to it recently - what do you think?

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen colors like that but not too often. Your pics are a bit dark. I'll leave it to the more experienced to say whether or not that's AT, but my impression is positive. image

Had a '51 proof Lincoln in an NGC slab once that looked to have blotchy brown toning, until you angled it. Then the areas that looked brown straight-on leapt off the coin, in the wildest electric purple you ever did see!

Heck, if the other coins are CAM/DCAM, I fail to see the downside! Looks like you found some nice stuff!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think... you suck! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    I've got some '68 sets with weird toning like that. Kind of looks like an oil slick. I think they're great looking.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    sinin1,

The Lincoln is naturally toned - naturally being defined as happening over an extended period with no deliberate attempt. It's copper, though, and both PCGS and NGC are very skittish about copper. I think, though, that NGC would slab it. They've slabbed every wild Lincoln I've sent them.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file