Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold buffs...more raw coins added...prices realized

RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I think you are right. Pcgs might knock it down another 5 or so if it has been cleaned.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say you're pretty close to the mark.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I have held it in my hand. It is raw and 100% original. Careful conservation may be helpful to remove the dirt on the reverse.

The dirty reverse would be a great image for my icon coin!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many obverse dies were used that year?
    The reason I ask is your 1 in the date seems flat at the top compared to the one at
    www.charlottegold.com.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK:

What a great looking coin!!! Please tell me that you are kidding about conservation... I think if you look at the strike combined with the original appearance, IT IS AU53+ and CAREFUL CONSERVATION WOULD NOT BE A GOOD THING.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Looks nice AU to me also and I agree no conserving. mike
  • Options
    Best guess is a nice 50. If conservation required suggest good brand of alcohol...take as many shots as you need till you get over it.
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    You guys are killing me! It is/was a Scotsman Auctions lot, which I let go to a higher bidder. It was the nicest gold coin that they had for auction. I was not sure that it would make AU, but it sure was a nice, ORIGINAL gold coin. The only conservation I was planning was a roundtrip visit to PCGS to be conserved in a plastic holder image

That's okay, there will be another...And I still have two Scotsman Auction lots pending, which I will post when I get a chance later. They are an 1854-O $3 for my type set, and a crusty, 1851-D $5 for my "Dahlonega"-inspired Dahlonega half eagle set, both very original and circulated.

Robert
  • Options
    RYK:

If I am crossing the line of good taste, I will apologize in advance... what is this going for or is the auction done? If it is over, do you know what was the price realized? Thanks...

• Options
    Leave the coin as is, has plenty of character and a nice "skin". Making it shiny would kill it. Looks like the obverse was cleaned at one time but is has a nice glow.
  • Options
    Kat, My last bid was $1500. The auction is underway in Maryland. I will post the result here when I know it.

Baby, I would not think of such a thing. To make it shiny would be a crime against humanity. Okay, that's a little strong...it would be a travesty! The obverse, to my eye in person, had no evidence of cleaning.

Robert
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    real grade: au-50, pcgs grade: au-58/ms-62

K S
  • Options
    RYK:

I appreciate your comments... original gold sometimes can be worth the reach.

• Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    I would probably grade this great coin as an AU50.
    Brian
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    I would probably grade this great coin as an AU50.
    Brian
  • Options
    These are the other original-appearing pre-Civil War branch mint gold coins for which I bid:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez. Somehow I totally missed the "C" mintmark on the first coin, when I read this thread the first time!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Both look original. The 1851-D is in the VF30 range and the $3 1854-O is probably in the low EF45 range. Some may say EF40, but if there is doubt, I tend to think that originality pulls the grade up on this one.

• Options
    You should think about putting one or 2 of those coins in a YN giveaway! imageimage
  • Options
    Kat, the auctioneer and you agree completely.

I am a bit harder on the grading. I call the 51-D $5 a VF-20 and the 54-O $3 a VF-30. I am very cautious of buying (raw or otherwise) expensive coins without help. I figure that if I grade very conservatively I may be less likely to land the coin in an auction but less likely to get burned.

I went to Scotsman (in St. Louis) to view the lots as an educational exercise. I wanted to compare my grading to theirs and "the market". I also wanted to learn more about problem coins (and there were plenty--most identified as such, some not, and some "hiding" in SEGS and PCI holders). You tend to be more astute when your own money is on the line, so I made a few fairly low-ball bids and then upped the bid on the 57-C as the bidding intensified. It was clearly the nicest of the lot.

Robert
  • Options
    51-D looks nice may be a touch better than thought nevertheless an underrated date with the strong mintmark probably worth a little premium if it is attractive in person. Pass on the $3 [54-0] if not to late...great date but lot of better coins available. Don't like the 'color', all the hits, etc. especially on the date.
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    correction on the '3' not the date
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    Dahlonega,

Thanks for the input. The 51-D was the strongest of the bids that I made; I think I have a decent chance of getting it.

The 54-O is not a "choice" coin. I put in a low bid for it, and at that, will probably still not get it.

Have a good time in B'more!
  • Options
    Prices realized (hammer):

54-O $3: $1550
    51-D $5: $925
    57-C $5: $2600

I did not win any of the lots.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that... I would have thought the 51-D would have fetched 1K, but then again with the juice, I gues its there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file