Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jefferson "So-Called" Dollar.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've had this coin/medal for about a year now, bought it locally off a dealer who purchased several of them from a collector. It's from a celebration in 1903-4 in St.Louis. Different types for different events seem to have been produced up through the early 1950's-60's as commemerative medals and are referred to as "So-Called Dollars" with at least one reference publication I've seen listing them. I was wondering if any members collect them, have any information they can share about this one or any comments.

I'm an obvious Jefferson fan what with the Nickels and all. The upcoming changes in the circulating coin and the commemerative for Lewis and Clark are a real charge for me. I noticed that France is going to commemerate the Louisiana Purchase with some Euro issues of their own. I've also been looking into starting to get a Peace Medal. But hey, that's another thread.

Here's the Jefferson. Tell me what you think. It's silver and slightly larger than a half-dollar with medalic orientation, though I have the reverse appearing as a coin. It's been cleaned and shows some contacts on the obverse and a few rim dings. Luster is so-so which would grade it as AU53-55 tops. I think Shiroh posted last sumer that ANACS would slab these, but there's really no need for that.

Enjoy.

Al H.image

Comments

• Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    I don't know anything about them, but I like the"topography" on the reverse. That is a neat coin!
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    I like it. I am interested in all the Lewis and Clark related coins and medals. Last week I went and saw the Lewis and Clark film by National Geographic at the local IMAX theater.

• Options
    ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    Nice souvenir piece! The relief looks very high; making for a great reverse as boz said.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Keets

This medal was made for the 1904 Worlds Fair.
    You probably knew that. Yours is probably silver.

They also made a lot of items for the same event in different metals.
    Store cards, Elongated cents, Encased cents, Fractional gold coins.

The Expo. items are really cool with lots to pick from.
    Larry

• Options
    That's from the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Expo in St. Louis. Reference number is HK-299 for the silver one. They were also made in copper and bronze. NGC also slabs so-called dollars.

Edited to show the gold tokens mentioned above:
    Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    I love that Al! If you come across another one you're passing on, give me the high sign! image
  • Options
    A little OT. Another Jefferson I had laying around.

Larry

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    I am impressed.
    All the medals & tokens pictured are impressive.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Eureka, nice items!! and Larry, is that one gold??

al h.image
  • Options
    Just brass. The cameo look got me.
    I think these used to be sold at the memorial.
    Seems like I gave $2 at a show.
    Larry

• Options
    Neat stuff! I too really like that high relief map of the US and the cameo bust of Jeff.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Hi keets just a little more info on your so called dollar...
    These official souvenir medals were struck right on the fair grounds at the St.Louis Mint exhibit. Total of all medals was 90,000. The other fellow depicted with Jefferson was Napoleon.
    The Silver piece was size 21 being .600 fine; it sold at first for $1, later for $1.25.
    eureka identified this as a Hibler Kappen #299 which is correct and it is listed in H&K as being scarce.
    Also it was struck in gold plated bronze (rare), coppper (extremely rare) yellow bronze, bronze and gilt. The yellow bronze "tarnished quickly" so these were replaced by just plain bronze. The value for yours was listed at $40.00 in my old 1963 H&K book.

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    Nice coin larry
  • Options
    Wow yes, great piece.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And .....NOW.................................. The REST of the story.

There are TWO versions. I....had......both. One has a star where St. Louis is........and the other doesn't.

I sold "starless" about a year ago and just can't let go of the other as that map is really nice.

Now of course, I wouldn't expect the MINT to use such a design. They would sell too many of them and reduce the debt too much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file