Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's up with this Capped Bust Half?

BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
Take a look at this 1812 half dollar. What's going on with it? Is this a die variety or some sort of die break, etc.?

1812 Half Dollar
"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a lamination or similar planchet flaw. My first thought was a clashed die, as I had an 1811 half with strongly clashed dies, but surely that can't be the case with this one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit that- I just saw the reverse. More likely, it's a damaged coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

At first I thought it was big ol' die clash but the reverse makes me agree with Rob...damaged.

Larryimage
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks OK to me.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is 1812 O.106, which has a huge reverse die break that is less visible in the center. Looks like rim damage between star 11 & 12, but it could be a planchet flaw. This is a scarce R.3 variety, but R.3's are not scarce enough to command a rarity premium.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file