Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mildly Toned coin, 1886 Morgan Dollar, AT or NT

This is just a small aquisition I got from a local dealer, and I was wondering if this was Natural of Artificial toning on the coin. NOTE: There is a little more gunmetal blue coloring on the rims, but my scanner has no chance of capturing it.

imageimage
Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prints look real to me.

Sorry kid... just hard to take you serious after this thread.Text and this one lately. Text
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    DanCDanC Posts: 1,189
  • Options
    Not sure what the pictures indicate, but there is not way that this coin is cleaned. I may not know much on toning, but I know other things and if you saw the coin it would be obvious that its not cleaned... yet. The reason Im asking about the toning is that it seems to have a lot of luster hiding under a dull surface so I will dip the whole coin if its AT, or just use dip on the untoned parts if its NT.
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • Options
    Whoever cleaned that piece should be hanged by their feet until they get enough blood in there empty head to start thinking. I wouldn't pay AG money for that coin, downright ugly.
  • Options

<< <i>..... just use dip on the untoned parts..... >>

What would be the purpose of that?
    Paul Fillmore
    ANA LM5200
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    That coin is about fake & fraudulant as carterhaines & his sleazeBay auctions are.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Carterhaines-
    what's the name of the dealer you got it from?
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dog, you don't even think the prints are real?
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    stman I stand corrected; The coin & prints are real.
  • Options
    I should have also asked for reasons why you think it is fake or real. Also, the dealer I got it from is just someone who has a few coins and some jewelry, you wont have heard of him.
  • Options
    But you called him/her a dealer. What is the name of the dealer?
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

It looks like something a little kid would do.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    The toning has the look of being real, however ugly it may be.

But the coin has been harshly cleaned way back in it's past.

I've got a few much nicer AT coins you might be interested in, you have to promise not to sell them as real though.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    And he signs off with no answer....
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    Reasons? carterhaines is a scam and a fraud so anything he touches is a scam or fraud.
    stman You forgot this thread; Here's he scams an eBay buyer for $510.Text

His source: $9 fakes straight from China
    Nice little profitable scam there.
  • Options
    carterhaines...now I remember the name. Thanks for refreshing my memory, Dog97.
  • Options
    Even I find Carter Haines despicable.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Wow, 4th Stooge and I are in agreement on something.imageimage

carterhaines keeps posting here, asking forum members for feedback, while listing counterfeit and obviously AT coins for sale on Ebay. Let's all go out of our way to help him out - not!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    yuk

K S
  • Options
    Does it matter if the color is real or not? That coin has been cleaned (harshly) in it's past and is way beyond any effort to try and save - besides the fact that it's ugly as sin and is currently owned by a scam artist who is trying to use the people of this board to lend credence to his scams....
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    carterhaines, you are beginning to look alot like aswimmer

say, whats the story on the electric blue dollar you sold recently - did you hook up wires and plug it into the wall? It definitely looks like it got hot to me.

how are your mini jet torch tools working for you? do you use them as cigarette lighters like aswimmer

too funny - eBay 3216721504
    I should tell the seller to add another use for his mini jet torch tool ->

turns cleaned $10 coins into colorful $75 coinsimage

oh the 1886 Morgan has been cleaned - you may not see scratches but it was dipped in something (ammonia?) so long it has caused pitting on the face of that Morgan - probably absolutely NO luster like a VF or XF coin - don't dip bad parts -> torch it, add some color back to that ladyimage
  • Options
    this coin will be dipped and on ebay as a original ms65..carterhaines you suck and have a lot of nerve even posting here!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    and i see he is now bidding on more fake trade dollars..anyone think he is going to resell them on ebay as genuine????? YOU REALLY SUCK CARTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    The Ebay message boards bear some inspection, too. Carterhaines was a little more forthcoming about his "experiments" with sulfur there.

4th stooge-

<< <i>Even I find Carter Haines despicable. >>

That was funny.
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    This guy just doesn't quite does he? In some ways he does remind me of aswimmer.

Keep repeating to yourself....I know the color's real, I know the color's real, I know the color's real.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    carter..did i mention that you REALLY SUCK???????
  • Options
    BTW Why did you buy mini torches on e-bay, you know 13 year olds can burn them selves with those. Oh and can we get this pos scumbag NARU'd?
  • Options
    How could you Cameron!

kiefersebay@yahoo.com( 236) Jun-20-03 08:11:07 PDT 3029328026 B
    Praise : Great buyer and fast payment! Thanks
  • Options
    Klector - it was a NTC sample slab with a real quarter inside, that is what he collects

I am sure everyone who was bought on eBay was bought from some slimeballs, but just did not know it -

I am in shock on some of my good yahoo purchases - a few months later, I check those sellers and they have turned into non-shipping scam people (or died and lots of money in the mailbox)image
  • Options
    I was just kidding. Sorry I fogot the image.
  • Options
    I can`t believe that anyone would actually call this AT.
    This is a completely original UNCLEANED coin with kraft
    envelope toning.
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.
  • Options
    I can't believe that you would give this scammer any credibility.
  • Options
    carterhaines - if you ever come back to read posts for ideas ->

Russ has one showing gamma radiation turning proof coins into DCAMs which sell for much more -
    you can probably get all the supplies and radioactive materials needed on eBay

try it on a few and post pictures to see what we thinkimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file