Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

hello, what you all think about MS67 and MS68 Lincoln memorial, are they over priced???

hello, i have a lot of PCGS MS67,68 lincolns and just wondering what you all think about MS67 and MS68 Lincoln memorial, are they over priced???are people paying to much on Ebay for them???

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old are they?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Thats a good question,,,you know i guess you could break it down.......i would say for myself from 1959-1982 there worth it in MS66 and 67 and from 1982-1989 and from 1990 - 2003 im just not to sure about MS68,69 pops.... and another thing you know these new coins (1990-2003) in ms67 and 68 are just out there waiting to be found..
    food for thought
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Next question.
  • Options
    Betty Crocker says do the following in order to get the answer to you question?

Ingredients needed.

1. All of your MS67 and MS68 slabbed modern lincolns.
    2. One roll of masking tape.
    3. One medium sized box.
    4. One 8.5" x 11" piece of paper.
    5. One ball point pen.

Directions:

1. Place masking tape on every slide so that you cannot identify the grade chosen by the grading company.

2. Place the slabs in the box. (Make sure box is open before slab placement.)

3. Gently combine the slabs together in the box with the box closed until mixture is throughly mixed.

4. Remove each slab one by one from the box and determine in your opinion the grade.

5. Remove the masking tape from the slab and record on a piece of paper your grade in one column and the slab's grade in another column.

6. After completing step #5 for all the slabs, calculate the percentage of the time that your grade matched the slab's grade.

Determining the Answer:

If you were right on more than 92% of the slabs...then keep collecting and they are a good investment for you. Lincoln cents will always be popular. Give some serious consideration to writing a book on how to grade Lincoln Memorial cents.

If you were right between 85% and 92% of the time, then keep thinking about the question but suspend your purchasing of MS68's until you are sure of the answer.

If you were right less than 85% of the time then you have two choices:

1. Sell what you have and collect a lower grade range of the same or another series.

2. If you love that series and the look of the coins, then don't ever buy another MS68 coin in that series...just buy the lower cost MS67's.

Go well.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the memorial cents are surprisingly difficult to find nice. Even nice gem
    MS-65's are not common for several of the dates. There are now lots of wheatie
    collectors updating their sets through the later years and there are quite a few
    newbies getting into Lincolns. Even returning collectors seem to embrace memorials
    so this makes them something of a triple threat. All of the regular issues are avail-
    able enough in typical unc that prices are unlikely to go to very high levels, but some
    dates can be tough enough to find in choice, gem, or better.

Lincolns make a good entry level collection even today. Collections can no longer be
    completed from circulation but a nice XF/AU memorial collection can almost be done.
    There are lots of varieties, and some toughies in high grade. More importantly some
    of the later date cents are nearly common in superb gem. Collectors will be able to
    put together superb collections of these for many years with relatively little outlay.

Are the MS-67 and better overpriced? One should know what one is doing if paying
    significant amounts for these coins, and this applies doubly to the later dates. Of
    course one should know what he's doing when paying significant premiums for any
    coin or he should have some confidence in his dealer.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    pow012000
    As a long time Lincoln man,I'd say the answer is yes.People are paying to much for those grades.The Lincoln Cent has historicaly been one of the most collected series.With the numbers being minted,the posibility of those grades being acheived grow to an astronomical number.As more receive those grades the demand will drop along with prices realized.IMHO
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278

<< <i>If you were right less than 85% of the time then you have two choices: >>

<< <i>1. Sell what you have and collect a lower grade range of the same or another series. >>

<< <i>2. If you love that series and the look of the coins, then don't ever buy another MS68 coin in that series...just buy the lower cost MS67's. >>

Or....How about ...
    3. Learn how to grade the difference between MS67 and MS68.image
  • Options
    Depends on the date. For some the spread between 67 & 68 can be as much as 10 times. PM me the dates/grades (or post them) & I'll give you my opinion - for what it's worth.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>pow012000
    As a long time Lincoln man,I'd say the answer is yes.People are paying to much for those grades.The Lincoln Cent has historicaly been one of the most collected series.With the numbers being minted,the posibility of those grades being acheived grow to an astronomical number.As more receive those grades the demand will drop along with prices realized.IMHO >>

I'm not sure I understand what mintages of memorials have to do with the
    number of surviving coins in MS-67/8. Certainly with the recent dates huge
    numbers likely remain in storage. Even with those which have been released,
    many remain in unc. But there are none of the older Lincolns in government
    vaults. The lions share of these coins don't exist at all anymore and most of
    those which remain are in far less than pristine condition. Even among the
    cents which were set aside by collectors one will be very hard pressed to find
    (m)any MS-67/8's. The early memorials are coming up on fifty years of age,
    and mintages in the hundreds of millions and billions are becoming meaningless.

The oldest Lincolns are often far more available in high grade than some of the
    newer ones. When collectors get done with their collections the prices will be
    determined far more by the number available than by mintages.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you were right less than 85% of the time then you have two choices: >>

<< <i>1. Sell what you have and collect a lower grade range of the same or another series. >>

<< <i>2. If you love that series and the look of the coins, then don't ever buy another MS68 coin in that series...just buy the lower cost MS67's. >>

Or....How about ...
    3. Learn how to grade the difference between MS67 and MS68.image >>

Good point! I missed that one.

I just assumed if one was primarily in the hobby as a collector and you really couldn't appreciate the difference between a 67 and 68; you would rather have many more 67's than a few 68's. But other folks may feel differently so your third option should have been included.
    Go well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file