Home U.S. Coin Forum

Yea! PCGS Got it Right -- sorta! CoinReports Update.

Here's the submission results for the Morgans & Peace $ that were sent it. I threw in 5 NT coins with the mix to keep things honest. PCGS spotted them and graded 4 of them. 1 was BB, the 23-S Peace but it was BB for cleaning not AT. There is 1 coin that they graded, that either GSAGUY or Dog thought was AT. I can't remember which sent me the 1886. I should have them in a couple of days!

1 60091634 1890-S S$1 Artificial Color
2 60091635 1883-O S$1 Cleaning
3 60091636 1881-S S$1 Artificial Color
4 60091637 1897 S$1 Cleaning
5 60091638 1886 S$1 MS60
6 60091639 1887-O S$1 Artificial Color
7 60091640 1884-O S$1 Artificial Color
8 60091641 1885 S$1 Artificial Color
9 60091642 1888 S$1 Artificial Color
10 60091643 1880-S S$1 Artificial Color
11 60091644 1921 S$1 Morgan MS61
12 60091645 1921 S$1 Morgan MS63
13 60091646 1921 S$1 Morgan MS63
14 60091647 1923-S S$1 Cleaning
15 60091648 1922-S S$1 Artificial Color
16 60091649 1924 S$1 Artificial Color
17 60091650 1923 S$1 Cleaning
18 60091651 1925 S$1 Artificial Color
19 60091652 1922-S S$1 Artificial Color
20 60091653 1952 50C MS64FL

Oh, yeah as for the other submission results that I questioned. I showed the questionable PCGS graded coins to CoinGuy (Mark) and he said they all checked out as being NT so there's no AT coins in PCGS slabs. So right now we have only the 1886 Morgan in question. Actually, PCGS did a pretty good job with spotting the AT from NT on this submission and to be honest, there were some coins in this bunch that were close calls either way.

Michael

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    You going to crack them all and send them to ngc?
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    I don't get it. The ATs and cleaned coins have been BB by PCGS. The graded coins were the NTs that I threw in. The only questionable one is the 1886 $1.

The BBs will now go to Coppercoins for photography and to CoinGuy for comment and then it'll be uploaded to the CoinReports website.

Michael
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Cool! I guess if I had missed those Morgans & Peace my credibility with the board would be mud huh?

The 86 was questionable to me. I was wanting to flat out say it was AT but I had seen one with the same colors & pattern in a PCGS slab before so I was on the fence on this one. It's clearly some kind of album or holder tone so I guess PCGS didn't know for sure so they decided it was the infamous Market Acceptable and net graded it as MS60. MS60? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

imageimage
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
    MANOFCOINS I have no problem with the way this submission yurned out. Some of the coins were no-brainer AT and some were sneaky ones.
    I have pictures of all the coins I personally owned in this and the last submission but I don't remember what was what. Also interesting to note that the ones that were no graded for cleaning were also heavily toned but it wasn't noted. This could falsely lead one to believe that they were NT and the only problem was cleaning.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    do you have any back?

how long do you feel it will be before some more pictures start getting posted?

on the cleaned (then toned) coins, will you be able to photo or explain the cleaning method/location?
    -- it seems many coins are AT to cover coin flaws/cleaning
    -- somw cleaned coins just retone "funky" because of the new metal skin

so about 80-90% bodybags overall? that is not that bad for your objectives.
    I have the dimes and nickels back. A few were BB for color. The Morgans and Peace $ should be shipped by PCGS today or tomorrow. I'll have them back next week. They'll then go to Coppercoins for photography and then to Coinguy for comment. It'll be a couple of weeks probably before they are up on the site.

Once we get some pics up, we'll do a beta-test for the Board members here. You will be able to shape the site and tell us what needs fixing/improvement and what is good about the site.

It looks like this is going to take awhile based upon the turnaround times @ PCGS. We need more then a dozen or so coins before we can actually open for business. Now that I've seen how PCGS did with the first two submissions, I can get the rest of the coins out to them for grading.

It's a slow process, but it is happening.

Again, if anyone wants to donate to the site, that would be great. We can also use AT coins, funds for operation, funds for submissions or even if you have free collector's club submissions you would like to donate, that would be great.

Thanks
    Michael
  • ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    I can see why Gsaguy, & Dog97 had doubts on the 1886 if it is the one Dog has pictured. On my screen I am looking at a coin carrying one sided album tone. This just don't happen.
    If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    So far, PCGS is winning.
    DSW
    Yes ArtR, that is indeed <<<5 60091638 1886 S$1 MS60>>> and now you see what I mean?

The strange purple & blue color is strange while not the blantant work of a coin doctor, I'd feel safe in saying it was in a felt lined box like maybe for example, one of those from Littleton or the American Historic Society etc. Thus I find it questionable since it's not original bag tone or natural album tone.
    If I had sent it in as a collector it would have come back in a body bag. Send it in wanting a bodybag it comes back in a damn slab. grrrrr..........

It was bought raw off eBay where it was listed as <<<1886-P Morgan TONED!!! BU *NR*>>>
    There were 12 bids & it closed @ $27.70.
    Add in the grading fees and you got $42 in a $30-$50 coin.
    Much better to buy cheap coins already slabbed.

<< <i>So far, PCGS is winning. >>

What does that mean?

Michael
    <<<What does that mean?>>>
    It means we're losing. har har har
    Dog -- Well I didn't think we were trying to "win" if that means fooling the PCGS graders. I want them to be accurate. I want BBs were they're deserved and required. That's the whole point to sending them to PCGS, it's not to fool them and sneak AT coins past the graders.

I don't think Lawman understands what we are trying to do with the website though.

Michael

I think he means that when it comes to who's best @ determining AT we lose & PCGS wins.

Just my take on it, ½ the time I don't have a clue as to what the posts on this board really mean. image
    TTT for GSAGUY on request. image

Michael
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    If my memory serves me correctly, all of the pieces I submitted to Frattlaw looked pretty good color-wise, but still displayed 'something' that made me suspicious. I really need to see them again, to refresh my memory. I examined none under a scope to look for evidence of cleaning....which, of course, is one reason many coins are AT'd!

Thanks Frattlaw....looking forward to seeing them once again.

GSAGUY
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    your memory is kinda slipping away huh? Don't you have a birthday soon? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file