Comments

• Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I hope that guy OWNS trugrade

wow!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! image >>

That's for you, CA!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey glen

did you catch my NTC experiment thread last week? i'd like to get my hands on a random selection of 100 or more TrueGrade slabs and do a similar evaluation. no slant or anything, just a quasi-scientific comparison of what the insert says and what my grade estimate is along with any noted problems or impairments. that can be done at local shows with some of the more available second tier slabs like PCI and SEGS, provided i can get a dealer who would let me do it.

the catch with TrueGrade is that they seem to have already been relegated to underground status. my only real experience with their holdered coins was at a show i went to with a local dealer. some guy had a case full of the slabs that he was trying to sell at every table with little success. i think that was a poor setting to try to get a dealer to look at a new company's holdered coins.

my own opinion of new grading services coming out now----the market is flooded, absolutely packed to the gills with slabs of all kinds. to make it, a company needs to have professionals involved that are above reproach and tight standards to gain a market share. ironically, the new companies seem to be comprised of individuals noone knows and standards that are liberal, not a good way to win us picky and suspicious collectors.image

al h.image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to encounter a TruGrade coin on the bourse floor so I can't comment on their quality or lack of it. The recent proliferation of grading services does speak, from a business standpoint, about how the three "majors" have left the door open for competition. If I were a stockholder in one of the three "majors" I would want answers from management as to why this situation has been allowed to develop.
    All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file