Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you sense a frenzy building?

dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
This run-up to Baltimore ANA is really something. What is it--20,000 lots in all those auctions?

I'm getting all these emailings now I've never gotten before. People begging for coins to sell, letting us know where they'll be at the show. I got one a little while ago from Paul Montgomery at B&M listing the years/grades of the coins I have in my Washington registry set, and linking all the upgrades they have in their auction for each date (making me feel pretty dang inadequate in the process, I might add! image ) Wow!

I've only been back actively in the hobby since 1999, but I've never seen such a hype and buildup as this for a show.

My guess is that if this "frenzy" is affirmed by prices/activity at Baltimore, it will mark the point of a new level of activity and price increases in the hobby, and hang on to your hat. If Baltimore disappoints, we will see a disappointed doldrum for a while before it takes off again.

Any of you have any impressions?

Comments

• jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I kinda have the same feeling. I would like to believe this is the start of a larger upswing in the coin market.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey dave

i came back in 1999 myself after about a 10 year abscence and was amazed at the changes that had transpired in that time. that part of me that thinks i'm VERY important was stunned that i hadn't been consulted or at least notified!!! all the hype is self-serving and at some point, maybe Baltimore, maybe not, it will consume itself in the form to which you alluded where sales prices are way low. i think interest is still rising, but i have nothing but gut-instinct to base that on.

i try to stay optimistic, so my approach is to tune out the hype as best as i can and listen to collectors instead of the big sellers/auctioneers/consigners who have a vested interest in the outcome. the collectors i hear seem to think things are moving along nicely with no impending "thud" in the near future.

i'll admit to being pumped for next week. heck, this is my first biggeee!!image

al h.image
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Like keets said it's self serving hype. Cross referencing your Registry Set and giving you links to higher graded coins must be really time consuming vs sending out generic spam lists. That means they're either making lots of money or they're desperate. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's definitley some buying action in the air. I stopped into a local shop today in western NC while I had some time to waste. Just chatting about Baltimore next week, and I mentioned that I was going to locate (or try to locate ) two potential upgrades. When He asked what, he tried to buy the two current pieces off of me sight unseen (there PCGS) and with a pretty substantial offer, especially from a dealer. (well in excess of ask) He said he had buyers for both pieces.

It wasnt like there rare pieces, just tougher ones to locate?
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    I think the market is quite strong but not booming.

There are no economic factors or other factors to cause the market to "boom" however with low interest rates and many other investments that are none too promising, coins are a good alternative for many, hence the apparent strength.

Sales for me have been very good, especially considering that it is the summer.

adrian
  • jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    "sniff....sniff.....sniff sniff sniff" I think they smell blood in the water! After reviewing some auctions between the shows, allot of '64 and priors are bringing in big bucks on the high quality end!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    In order to get a unbiased opinion of the market, I just read through the market commentary supplied by market bellwether "The Reeded Edge" on Ebay.

Here is their latest assessment:

"White hot" can no longer describe the current coin market. Temperatures have boiled over into mass chaos at the latest show in <fill in show name here>. People who came to the show thinking they could acquire coins by simply handing over their first born children left frustrated. Nothing short of human sacrifice or self-mutilation will even get you anywhere near this market. It was a scene straight out of Czarist Russia as frenzied coin-buyers attacked dealers for anything they could get their hands on. People were dumping cash out of their pockets as fast as they could. Fistfights ensued, greysheet carriers were trampled and pocket-protectors were smashed. A man beat a little old lady to death with his wallet as she walked to close to a coin he was about to pay 1,000 x sheet for. Therefore, I'm asking only <insert ridiculously high price here> for this coin. I have completely lost my mind. My loss is your gain. Come steal this coin from me for 100 x sheet.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only do small cents 1856-1909 so, no, I don't see a frenzy coming in Baltimore. I do see a amazing shortage of nice MS material which portends continued upward pressure on prices.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    barracuda,

Yeah. I got the same email. image

That would be POTD material over on the Open Forum, man! image
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    POTD?

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    I think after 911, people could see just how quickly financial markets could be shaken. Prudent diversification to include hard tangibles in private possession may be more popular these days. Another factor with investments is the entertainment value. With the internet I know many that are hooked on watching stocks buying and selling online thats just plain fun for them.

With the above in mine, buillion is boring compared to rare coinsimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, the Redded Edge lays it on kinda thick, don't they?

Since the smart money is predicting frenzy, I am going to play contrarian and predict an okay show, which will disappoint because it is not "white hot." There is a lot of supply that needs to be taken down, 20,000 plus auction lots, dealer inventories, new deals at the show, etc.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No frenzy... but some interesting things seem to be happening during pre ANA week. Gold added $9 on top of a $6 advance. Did gold have a double bottom at around $340 or so? Where are all the technical chart people when you need them? Gold still seems to be in a trading range, but a double bottom is a bullish sign.

At this juncture, the real question is can the market absorb what is being offered in all the auctions? I don't know and we will soon find out.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    i think coins are being dumped on the mkt at an alarming pace, as if a lot of well-heeled collectors are taking their profits right now. imo, it is not a good time to be buying coins for investment.

i could also see many collectors converting to cash in order to build up reserves for the FORD sale(s).

K S
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah: The number of coins being "dumped" is not alarming at all. It is in fact good and in fact, very very healthy.

This coin market needs a little bit of a moderating/cooling effect.

The effect of the increased number of coins at this ANA show will hopefully moderate any price increase or to stabilize coin prices and to allow for a longer and more sustainable strong coin market.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>POTD? >>

Post Of The Day

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Frenzy building? Not really but there is alot of hype to try and build a frenzy.

There are no economic conditions at this time to warrant a frenzy. I would suspect there is more risk today than say 2 years ago. High unemployment. Interest rates can't get much lower. Poor corporate earnings. Record personal bankruptcies. Budget deficits. California near broke. $1 billion/week Iraq cost with a multi year commitment. North Koreans acting up. Europe getting more protectionist.

Almost afraid to ask but can it get any worse? As I have said in the past, weak coin prices get me excited, I can buy smarter. Right now I really can't get excited.
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405

<< <i>The effect of the increased number of coins at this ANA show will hopefully moderate any price increase or to stabilize coin prices and to allow for a longer and more sustainable strong coin market. >>

Gotta agree, I think the auction houses are in for a bit of a surprise. Too many coins, too high of prices, and not enough buyers at these high prices, will tend to put things back in perspective. Sure some of the well heeled dealers will buy a lot, but in the long run, unless they have committed buyers, they will eat it in the end.

Seems to be a selling hype, not a buyers outlook of the current market.

Of course, I could be wrong as usual. But for now I am going with this theory.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see both sides of the coin on this one. Market demand up and supply up. My guess is a lot of the auction coins won't meet their reserves but those that do sell will continue to go for the high prices.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin market needs a little bit of a moderating/cooling effect

hey oreville

good thought and i also liked the lines right after it. i think your line of thought is in lock step with David's If Baltimore disappoints, we will see a disappointed doldrum for a while before it takes off again in a general sort of way. what may be happening is that many collectors all got the same feeling at the same time and unbeknownst to each other, all listed in Baltimore to sell. it could end that there is just so much available that individual collector dollars are stretched and difficult choices of what to buy/what not to buy hurt final auction prices and dealer sales.

i think i chose a good time for my first major. i'll be watching carefully and asking questions.

al h. image
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    This just being a newbies outlook, but it seems to me the big winners out of Baltimore will be the auction houses.

If a coin does not meet the reserve do they still make money off of the coin? For example if a dealer or collector has a $5,000 reserve on a coin but only goes as high as $4,000 what will the auction house make off of that coin, that the dealer is still stuck with.

Do you guys think that there will be a lot of coins that do not hit the reserve. Is 20% to high of a guess.

Are coins that do not hit the reserve, still calculated as being a sale when they finally come out with how much these auctions take in? I do not think they should since they actually did not sell.

Then out of the auctions that do realize from an internet bid, how many people would you guess will not pony up the money to cover their bids. Who will get screwed then, the auction house or the dealer?

Just a few questions from a newbie.
    thanks
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frenzy? WHAT FRENZY? I don see no steenkeeng frenzy! What, where? Frenzy? frenzfrenzy y frenzy frenzy frenzy frenzy...no. where? Got any coins? Where? I need coins! Coinscoinscoins! Lemme at em! I need em. I want em. I'll pay ANYTHING? Where are the toned coins? I need COLOR! colorcolorcolor. and STRIKE. Forget the holder. Just send for prompt payment. NOW! quick.

• DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    There may be a frenzy for the top 15% of those coins. However, I think there is a real sense of panic for those trying to get the bottom 40% sold at reasonable prices.

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    sorry...all i sence is PT Barnum floating the worlds biggest air ballon down wallstreet...and boy it appears the advertising giants are doing their job....

mortgage your house...run up the cards

heck, you'll have years ta think about it when the <S>crash<S> comesimageimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    dpoole
    Speaking solely about the Lincoln Proofs,I have said before "just wait until 2009 the prices realized for the top 10% coins will reach astronomical prices."
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • LegendLegend Posts: 335
    I promise you WILL see record prices on ANY coin that deserves it (thats the key). The demand for coins is very strong and still building.

I believe most of the big coins WILL sell.

As you all know, I put Legends money where my mouth is. I plan on being a major buyer BOTH at ALL the auctions and on the bourse floor. I need high end neat coins!

Also: The collector who sold us the East Coast collection didn't need to. We bugged him to sell it. And very few coins from the set will be available fro sale (most have been placed already). I guess my version of demand and market stregnth differs from most people on these boards.
    Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I promise you WILL see record prices on ANY coin that deserves it (thats the key).

Laura,

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: you need to be careful and exact about what you say around here. The good folks of this forum occupy a very broad spectrum of numismatic industrial knowledge, and a goodly number of them simply will NOT really understand what you mean.

The phrase "that deserves it" is a good starting point for much greater clarification. Are they condition rarities? Keys? Hot series? Perhaps some combo thereof, or perhaps of something else altogether...

The next time I see you, remind me to give you the EVIL EYE.

EVP

PS I did not forget to put in a smiley!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• I think prices will be lower than they've been in a while - unfortunately for sellers but great for buyers.
  • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>. We bugged him to sell it. And very few coins from the set will be available fro sale (most have been placed already). >>

If that is so, then that is $5,000,000, PLUS your profit, that has been removed from the liquidity available for those auctions.

As I said before, I believe the top 15% of those auction coins will do VERY well. Yet, that bottom 40% may have a very difficult time.

• Legend said:
    As you all know, I put Legends money where my mouth is. I plan on being a major buyer BOTH at ALL the auctions and on the bourse floor. I need high end neat coins!

Legend is not "the" market. I doubt I am going out on a limb when I say people who pony up $25k+ for one coin don't worry about the things [like under/unemployment] the average collector does.

Legend caters to a very specialized niche. Do you think Harry Winston sells fewer Rolexs when times are :tough:? By the same token [no not that type of token] I seriously doubt Legend's market space will be affected too much.

Owners of the generic, obscure, high grade/high pop, lacking eye appeal, etc. are the ones who will see no appreciation or even depreciation and should be worried if they are stretched.

I look at it this way. WHat is already very expensive I cannot or don't want to afford, it will now just be even more untenable.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seriously doubt Legend's market space will be affected too much (by the next downturn).

I had a very large inventory of "legendary" coins in 1990 when the market tanked. Trust me, the best coins are FAR from immune in downturns.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Topstuff......sad to say you've got it bad, and it appears a chronic condition that is untreatable by modern science! It may even be terminal!!!! (to your wallet at least).

It follows an uncontrolable addiction which few men can control,...... or even fully understand. You are no longer the master of your domain. You have my prayers and deepest sympathy. image

signed: Fellow addict

<< <i>Frenzy? WHAT FRENZY? I don see no steenkeeng frenzy! What, where? Frenzy? frenzfrenzy y frenzy frenzy frenzy frenzy...no. where? Got any coins? Where? I need coins! Coinscoinscoins! Lemme at em! I need em. I want em. I'll pay ANYTHING? Where are the toned coins? I need COLOR! colorcolorcolor. and STRIKE. Forget the holder. Just send for prompt payment. NOW! quick.

image >>

The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

DCAMFranklin: Your quote:

<< <i>As I said before, I believe the top 15% of those auction coins will do VERY well. Yet, that bottom 40% may have a very difficult time. >>

Umm....my comment to that is .......hasn't this been happening for a long time and also isn't that how the bottom 40% got to be called "bottom 40% percenters in the first place? image

It seems that the cream of the crop always keep rising to the top whereas the bottom coins always seem to struggle?

Question......only when the market goes into a real frenzy does the rising tide lift all "boats" including the "bottom fishing trawlers?"

What we have is clearly a selectively hot market for the most highly demanded coins.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the market gets THINNER.....and thinner.....and t h i n n e r.......BUT.....The headlines scream louder and LOUDER!

Same-o Same-o........Just like when they CHANGED the grading standards but DENIED it.

"Oh LOOKIE......my MS65 is going .... UP ! The one I bought RAW in 1980! I think I'll send it IN !! ....eek, WHAT????"

Mr. Eureka knows of which he speaks.

Only now, it's the coins that "deserve" to rise in value. Does mine? Huh, does it, does it?

Maybe I should dump my undeserving slabbed F-XF early type.

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well ,it is just one coin, but the previously graded (in prior auction catalog) AU50 chain cent that got into a MS64 NGC holder in one of the first of the ANA auctions and ended up getting a $100,000 hammer price would suggest that this market hasn't topped yet.
  • TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,621 ✭✭
    My first question is how would we know if the show is strong and the market does well.

I'm certain that most dealers will come back and say it was a great show. They always do. They will point to certain sky high prices as evidence. It will be almost impossible to know much as collectors.

Second, I believe that we will always see most action in the top 10% of coins for any date, for date collected series, or for any type, for type collected series. For investment those are the ones to focus on. Lesser graded coins are great for collectors because the prices are lower, but aren't going to be rare enough for investment coins. And, any investment coin purchased needs to have great eye appeal. Reputable dealers have been saying that for a long time.

Frankly, I see strength in most of the top 10% for most series. I have been collecting certified coins for only four years now. Most of the prices have gone up well beyond what I paid. The series I have followed are Liberty Nickels, Walkers, proof Mercs, Washington quarters, Mint state IKEs, proof Franklins, 19th century type, and 20th century type. Only proof Franklins have declined.

So, if you want investment coins stick to the top 10% for date or type. If you want lower graded coins as collector coins, that's great, but don't expect to make money. Look, my son builds and flys model rockets. There are fun, we don't expect to resell them for a profit. They are a hobby, and so are lower graded coins.

Finally, Mr Eureka is very correct. Investment grade coins will go down as well as up. Just like the stock market, returns will be volatile. Make sure you diversify your investments.

Greg
    Now that the show is 1/3 over, any feedback from the first two auctions and the bourse tables to respond to this question?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file