Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another look at IrishMike's 1865 (large image warning)

shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
Mike was nice enough to let me borrow the 1865 Indian cent I mentioned in this thread so I can play with it for a few days. It's a classic example of lousy Mint production from the mid 1860's, the type of coin I really get a kick out of. Among its defects:

An early die state major clash. The entire profile of the Indian is intact on the reverse, as well as the headband (the edge of the L of LIBERTY is visible), feather detail under CENT, and a very clear eye. The obverse shows the O of ONE CENT boldly in front of the nose as well as many details from the wreath. (I've never seen the feather detail and eye on an IH clash before.)

Cuds on both the obverse & reverse rim.

Die scratches on the lower cheek.

Major striking weakness of the lower obverse and corresponding area of the reverse.

A slightly off center strike, with some of the planchet showing on the west side of the reverse image below.

Otherwise, they did a pretty good job!

Eye

Thanks Mike.

Comments

• Options

Great image Shylock. It really makes the clash easier to conceptualize, though when I try to line it up in my head I keep thinking that it is the C from CENT in ONE CENT that is directly in front of the eye on the obverse. Guess I need to look at it a little more.

Mike, make some posts and try not to take this place too serious. image
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    My bad tooth, it's the C of cent like you accurately pointed out.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shylock:

Forgot to mention the chewing tobacco spit on the reverse at 10:30.......those mint guys really were crude back then.

Great high res pics.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    VERY COOL!!!! that is byfar one of the most obvious clashes i've ever seen.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pictures, I am still working on my set up with my new camera. This is the "funnest coin" I have ever owned, if you are anal about clashes like I am you can spend a great deal of time with a loupe on this coin. There are so many things wrong with it, I chuckled every time I found something else. It's in an old rattler PCGS slab too and would never get slabbed today with that spot on it. Nice conversation piece as all my coins buddies have been passing it around.

Please hang onto it as long as you like, no hurry to get it back. I am awaiting arrival of another one that I recently purchased from B&M, who incidentaly I purchased this one from too.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    AWESOME photos... I think that coin is very cool!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Very cool, maybe NCS can do something with the spot?
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    That is the best die-clash I have ever seen on an Indian Cent, good score Shylock. Still, it is a nice coin.

Tom
    Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file