Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

registry problem

a while back I had quite a few full sets n some partials...one full was my SBA proof set, which i sold...intact full...i pulled it from the registry and deleted it. But if you goto one of my other sets..(abruzzo & florenzano enterprise statehood proof set) and click registrants other sets...that sba proof set is still there...click n the whole thing is there...but if you goto the sba list itself, im not there...hope whoever bought my proofs isnt having problems.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• Options
    The links are to sets in the "all-time finest" registry---your set stays there when you retire it if it was 90% (I think) complete. So it shows all the sets you have now, as well as any retired sets as long as they were 90% cvomplete when you retired them. It would be nice if PCGS changed that list to at least indicate which ones were non-active.

Pete
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    MY OPINION ONLY! I think the PCGS all time finest should ONLY include sets that are generally RECONGNIZED by knowledgeable collectors to be all time finest sets. That is, for example, in the Lincoln cent series if Stewart Blay should ever sell his collection, then THAT collection should remain showing in the Registry. What bothers me, and in my opinion downgrades the Registry, is when one of us "regular coin collecting hobbyists" complete or almost complete a set AND THEN SELL THE SET, that the set and person's name remain in the so called all time finest. We all know this is just for marketing purposes, but really, does the person really believe he/she has an all time finest set? I don't think so. JMHO. Steve
  • Options
    Steve,
    Wow! If I understand what you wrote, and please correct me if I am adding something, but if Stewart Blay collects and someday sells, it is okay to be remembered on the all time finest list. If you or I were to collect, meet the same criteria for all time finest list, and sell, then we should not be able to have the set remembered as an all time finest? Am I missing something?
    Dickimage
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Dick,
    Stewart is recognized by most Lincoln cent collectors as having the finest sets in all categories of circulation coins and proof coins. He has not done this overnight. He was known for this ten and fifteen years ago. He has just been put into the "Hall of Fame". There are a number of Registry set participants who deserve the honor of "All Time Finest". They are people who have collected over a period of time and have aquired prime coins that are recognized by the hobby. By default, IMHO, these people would have to have access to large amounts of money in order to achieve that status. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that PCGS should have ONE regular category for each registry in which EVERYONE competes. The same people at PCGS who choose the 5 finest sets awards each year, would from time to time designate CERTAIN of the regular category leaders to be included in the All Time Finest Category. I resent the situation where some people rush to buy up all the top pop coins in PCGS slabs for the MAIN purpose of completing a top registry set so they can then sell it for a quick profit. I don't think that should be the purpose of the Registry. Under the current system, such a situation can result in that person being included in the All Time Finest. Again, JMHO. Steve

P.S. On second thought, part of my problem is I just don't like the term "all time finest" associated with the way the PCGS registry is currently being done.
  • Options
    I agree, Steve. It's presumptuous for PCGS to call a collection the finest of all time when they ignore the NGC slabs. And don't pooh pooh the ANACS slabs. I've had several ANACS coins cross over AND upgrade. Ditto for NGC, but that shouldn't be too surprising.

If they called the #1 set the finest PCGS set known, I'd have no bone to pick. But to call it the finest set of all time is unsupportable.

But don't let the fnords get you down.

Enjoy!

Just having fun!

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Bill,

As much as I hate to bring this thread back on topic, Pete is correct. It links to all sets, even those that retired to the ATF list. I also agree with him that it would be nice if the retired sets were somehow flagged.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I agree, Steve. It's presumptuous for PCGS to call a collection the finest of all time when they ignore the NGC slabs. And don't pooh pooh the ANACS slabs. I've had several ANACS coins cross over AND upgrade. Ditto for NGC, but that shouldn't be too surprising.

If they called the #1 set the finest PCGS set known, I'd have no bone to pick. But to call it the finest set of all time is unsupportable.>>>

i couldnt agree more.....i dont buy them by the car load but i have had icg coins upgrade 2 grades at pcgs.......look we all know that the services are ranking coins ...and it will take some time for them to see all the coins ( a coupla times ) ....and during those 25 years or so the services will make a ton................ngc just isnt as greedy ( inho ) and anoints coins to the REAL GRADE faster than pcgs

think about it
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language