Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Reviewing the big dealers. Please critique my example.

Awhile back I posted a thread about reviewing some of the large dealers by posting experiences from previous customers. Overall most thought it was a good idea and encouraged it so I thought I would give it a try.

There was a recent thread on L&C Coins that was perfect for setting up an example of what I want to do. Please go to my website and follow the links to the review and tell me what you think. Good or bad I’d like to hear all comments.

Thanks.

Click here
Thadd...
Novice collector, occasionally selling some coins on eBay. Click HERE to see all my auctions.

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great format. I would contribute to it, and use it as a resource.
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    Thadd, great format. Rock and roll! Get busy and start putting dealer reviews on the site. This is a good service for collectors. There was a recent thread on Benchmark Ventures, so you can add them today. And don't forget about Littleton.
  • Options
    you are just refering to retail dealers? correct?
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I like it.

Here is an idea - how about a section for third-party grading services also, besides just dealers?
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    I think you need to go too a question and answer numerically and post responses in Excellent, Very good, good etc.
    If you post a bunch of letters or comments without the persons name and city, you may run into a world of problems. No name responses are hard to back up unless you provide proof of where they were originated! I find it hard to believe the not so good comments because of the lack of credibility!
    I think you are making a good point but headed in the wrong direction to make it!
    Point of sale, quality of coin or coins, service , shipping, etc. Give it a thought before you post allot of nameless critiques!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    It is an interesting concept.

I always encourage my customers to contact me about any problems and I would think that most dealers would rather have that contact than an anonymous post.

If the problem has not been resolved, then a post may be acceptable, but you may have to watch out for bogus ones, especially if they are defamatory.

Positive posts are welcomed anywhere by anyone. Just spell my name right.

Good luck.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>you are just refering to retail dealers? correct? >>

Pretty much just the main retail advertisers for now.
    Thadd...
    Novice collector, occasionally selling some coins on eBay. Click HERE to see all my auctions.
  • Options

<< <i>I think you need to go too a question and answer numerically and post responses in Excellent, Very good, good etc.
    If you post a bunch of letters or comments without the persons name and city, you may run into a world of problems. No name responses are hard to back up unless you provide proof of where they were originated! I find it hard to believe the not so good comments because of the lack of credibility!
    I think you are making a good point but headed in the wrong direction to make it!
    Point of sale, quality of coin or coins, service , shipping, etc. Give it a thought before you post allot of nameless critiques! >>

I plan on gathering my feedback via a web form and asking for people who have dealt with a certain company to give their experience. The L&C example was to give a rough idea on what it would look like when presented.

Let me ask you this. If I was to ask for feedback on a certain dealer, would you provide certain aspects of the transaction? Maybe your name, when you made your purchase, what city and state you are from. I don’t want to give too much personal information away but I need there to be some credibility.

An example of what I want to really post is something more like this:

I purchased 5 BU Morgan dollars from xxxx company in July of 02 and received coins that I thought were only AU. Joe M. Salt Lake, Utah.

I would require responses to be factual and not post things like xxxx company sucks, or xxxx company is a rip off they sell junk coins.

Who here would provide at least their name, city and state?
    Thadd...
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Proceed with caution is all I have to say. Your site lacks credibility but carries a huge liability.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very huge liability.

Any lawyers here care to comment?
    Larry

• Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    <p>I just have to say that the insinuation that a dealer would hold thadd accountable for his honest attempt at providing a service to our forum members (and a valuable service, I might add) is ludicrous!
    How many times do we ask for opinions on dealers, their grading reliability, and service records? All thadd is doing is compiling our responses in one place. As long as he limits himself to these posts and doesn't go as far as to post results of "unscientific" polls (as some have recommended), he doesn't open himself up to any ridiculous charges of slander, defamation of character, or libel. Nor does any other member who contributes.

<p>Granted, this is only my limited amount of college law courses speaking, but would you want to deal with a dealer who took thadd to task over this enlightening project (which, most likely, will remain the sole academic domain of those members here)?

<p>I'm only stating my opinion and, if I'm out of line, I'm sorry!

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojo

Your not out of line at all.

I feel most law suits are ludicrous.

The courts said Ebay was not responsible for comments left in their feedback system
    But it cost them big bucks to defend their position.
    Larry

• Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    Thankfully, this provides legal precedent if push comes to shove.

I, too have dealt with L&C and have had only good results. They were the source for many coins in my last Buffalo short set, and I'm looking to them as well as J.J. Teaparty and American Numismatic Rarities in building my next one.

I feel a great raw coin dealer is Jack H. Beymer. I purchased many excellent Seated Liberty dimes and quarters when I was younger and always receive PQ coins from him IMO. The only disappointment was a 1917 T1 SLQ which he happily took back with no questions asked.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Interesting reading, but the comments with out names are very subjective.

The liability is very high and not worth the risk. Good dealers can be set up

and bad dealers praised by shill comments. This conceipt is very difficult to control

and verify. Listen to the big doggy, his comments were wise, practical and worth

listening to and advise worth taking.

There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Oh well. I guess I'll just forget about it.
    Thadd...
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure legal liability is that much of a concern. There is very longstanding precedent for precisely such a site in the form of one that has been operating for over five years.

Click here for ResellerRatings.com

The site allows customers to rate retailers in the computer industry. The owner, Scott Wainner, has encountered the occasional sabre rattling, but no real threats or suits.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it help with the liability concern if initials and location of the individual were added to each comment?

For example:

<< <i>Dealer A sold me an ACG 69 rainbow Morgan, and it turned out to be counterfeit.

RK, St. Louis, MO >>

• Options

<< <i>Would it help with the liability concern if initials and location of the individual were added to each comment?

For example:

<< <i>Dealer A sold me an ACG 69 rainbow Morgan, and it turned out to be counterfeit.

RK, St. Louis, MO >>

>>

That’s what I said in a previous post.
    Thadd...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file