Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The "Cleaner" who lost his shirt.........

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last week was a rather busy one at the local shop, some good and some bad. I'd like to relate what I observed regarding one collection that passed through the door.

Apparently it came time for a gentleman to liquidate. What I was told is that he needed money to help pay for his son's wedding, an honorable reason to cash in and one I'm sure at least a few members can relate to. The collection was quite large and diverse with most modern series collected in folders by date and many of the more popular classics like Morgans, Mercs and IHC's done likewise. There was also a nice assortment of type which ran the gamut of all U.S. issues so evidentally this collector had been at it for a while.

Sadly, he seemed to have a penchant for coins graded VF-XF and a large volume of the whole had been cleaned!! I knew this collection was gonna be in the shop so I was a little pumped to be there early on to pick through it, cherrypickin' at it's best!! image My heart sank when I opened up the first book, a complete set of Indian Cents, all cleaned. The owner shot me that look with a mixture of sadness and disappointment and we discussed it for a bit as I looked over the stuff.

Here's the peculiar twist. This collector had most of the older series' in Intercept Shield folders and the moderns were in 2X2's kept in pages in binders that were actually the highlight of the collection!! I mean, he took the time to decorate both sides of the binders with articles and designs relevant to the "Dead President" depicted on the series, and did a fine job of it. Paradoxically, he chose to shoot himself in the foot by cleaning the stuff rather noticebly.

The bottom line was a return on his collection of about 60 cents on the dollar at a time when prices are high and he should have at least broke even. To say he Lost His Shirt is to me a bit generous. He insisted on retaining the Intercept Folders so I helped take some of the coins out and put them in flips or boxes for 2X2'ing later on. Maybe that means he wasn't so discouraged with the whole experience that he'll leave the hobby. Hopefully, he'll chuck the cleaning supplies!!!image

This rotated 2-center was in the type stuff, all shiny-ed, a lone survivor of a sad day in local Numismatics!!image

Al H.image

Comments

• Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Ugh! The dreaded kiss of death for coppers, the orange/pink tint. It is amazing that any original material survives. All his coppers looked like that?
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Ow, that's gotta hurt. Do you tell the guy he ruined them (and have him possibly think you are scamming him to low-ball the price) or just say nothing?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    k6az have you ever seen around 100 cleaned lincolns in in album?i have.Last year my grandpa gave me an almost complete lincoln cent album almost all of which have been cleaned by my dad.im trying to replace them with circulated examples now.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    is the problem really that the coins are cleaned? or maybe there too much paranoia about the "horrors" of cleaning cheap coins.

K S
  • Options
    hey Jim

that's a good question and probably part of the reason why i don't envy dealers their chosen trade. geez, i get nervous when someone approaches me with a handful of coins at a club meeting looking for an opinion and a buy price. you know, my reputation and all!!image

Rich does well and he's honest and up front. i'm sure he said at least something to the guy in passing since i've been present when he's had walk-ins. i'm rather curious who the collector was but i'm smart enough to know never to ask.

BTW, i managed to snag the 1921-S c'stamped Morgan the other day!!image i'll try to get some pics this weekend and i'll brinng it to the ANA. i've just about cornered the market locally on them buggers. talk about falling into it..........

hey Eric, in answer to your copper-question, unfortunately most of it did, the older stuff at least. there's nothing worse than a shiny-red-looking VF indian head cent. strangely though, there were several very dark brown ones. i think he may have tried to clean some like that and got poor results so he quit.

to the issue of cleaning, i always say something at club auctions about it and if i go to grading committee, i do likewise.

al h.image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    i know that copper color...had an 1828 large cent that PCGS bagged for foriegn substance and damage...segs slabbed au58 cleaned with obverse pit (small dot like someone started to drill it)

I dipped in silver cleaner..then retoned it in olive oil.

looks nice now.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    That is pretty interesting! If he has been collecting as long as it seems, what would possess him to clean the coins! He had to deal with dealers, know what is going on and that any alteration to the coins is certain death to the value.
    Maybe this being a hard time for him, but it would make for a good question session with him on the why's and wherefores! Sad at first, but provacative in knowledge to be learned and passed on to everyone in early stages of collecting.image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    hey Jeff

one thing i've learned in my time since i returned to the hobby in 1999 and with my forum involvement is that there is a great lack of knowledge and sophistication in the majority of the collecting community. my experience has been that collectors were shut off from each other until the late 80's and with the internet and other changes, we've been able to become more informed about the different market forces------rights and wrongs, so to speak.

if you were to compare my collection from 1964-1980 with what it currently looks like, the differences would be stark. my hunch is that the "cleaner" assembled his collection over the past 30 years without being involved with other collectors or keeping pace with changing trends in the hobby. some of what i see locally with old-timers is shocking. not that i'm being critical, but times and markets change. what may have been acceptable 10, 20 or 30 years ago, isn't anymore. as knowledge is disseminated and made available to more collectors, i think incidents like the one i described will start to be less common. we are already seeing discussion here about the pros and cons of dipping and AT.

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file