Home U.S. Coin Forum

I finally got a POP 1 Morgan!

Comments

• You da man.....
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Boy did you get ripped off...must have "sucker" stamped on your forehead....image

I wonder who had that slabbed in the first place....
  • Looks like an ACG AU58 to me !! image Just a little rub on the high points ! Congrats !
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! The Perfect Grade!

peacockcoins

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    You have to wonder who had it slabbed. And that is an older holder from before PCGS had direct submissions, so that coin had to go through a dealer.

Ever browse eBay for the fun of it and see Morgans in ridiculous holders? Last week I saw an PCGS AU55 1880-S. I think it went for $15.
    I bought it because I was thinking of becoming the Braddick of Morgan Dollars. I know the coin is only worth about $12.
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    Plastic costs more than the "junk box" coin!
    DSW

• << <i>Sweet! The Perfect Grade! >>

My first thought was...How did Braddick miss that one ??image
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Cool! Want to sell it to me? I'm collecting a grading set of Morgan Dollars and in that grade, it really does not matter which mint/date. I have a 1879-S in PCGS G-06, but I need one in G-04.

Want to sell?

Tom
    Tom

Gee, I don't know Tom. What am I going to replace it in my registry set with? image
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I'll trade you a 1881 PCI Morgan dollar that they claim is MS-60, but easily looks MS-64 to me.

Tom
    Tom

• Braddick's got you beat though.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Man I looked long & hard @ that coin and try to tear it down. I tried to say it was really a AG-3 but the rims are too full. I don't see any fingerprints. It's not beat up & nasty and the original patina & color is pleasing for a circulated model.
    Been a long time since I've seen a fairly graded Morgan in the wild. Good catch! image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
    I don't have one of those old photo slab holders. Hmmm.. a GD04 for a mint state coin.. well, PM me.
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    Kid:

I gave Braddick the worst Morgan ever. no problems at all and it is practically slick. I posted the pic here on the board and hopefully Braddick will post it again. there is NO way to even know what date it is. Maybe it was a 1893 s? image
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    K6,

I really like that coin. Original and good date.

John
    Yeah, well I've been talked out of it! image
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, well I've been talked out of it! image >>

Ok guys, enough of the highjinks. This domain of collecting is MINE! Mine, I tell you! I don't need the competition to start driving the prices up!

(The flip side of that 1886 has ghost detail about the size of a quarter, in the center of the coin with it being totally slick from those 'details' to the rim.)

(((Remember the trick to these is finding them: 1) Problem Free. 2) With a readable date. 3) An indication of what the MintMark is. Without these identifiers PCGS will NOT holder the coin, of course, but PCI will- they just holder it "NO DATE".)))

peacockcoins

• Congratulations.
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.
    Got the coin today. Now tomorrow it gets to go back across the country.

• ERER Posts: 7,345
    I think it has a good chance for an upgrade.image
  • Morgan Dollars 40% off! You'd better buy now before I send it off to ACG!
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    Beautiful crescent toning!image
    What happened to that? Someone try to fake a split planchet error?
  • chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Are you gonna crack it out and resubmit? Might go to VG image

------------
    Bob
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
    No, another board member talked me out of it for his grading set.

• << <i>What happened to that? Someone try to fake a split planchet error? >>

Fake? Fake? I'm shocked that you'd use a word like that when describing the centerpiece of my Morgan Dollar collection! This is the unique (POP 1!) 1882 pattern in pot metal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file