Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The owner of the 1933 Saint Gaudens revealed!

Well maybe not.

A few of us over more than a few drinks chatted about whos and then whys of the 1933 $20 .

Why was almost easy but the who was a bit tougher.

Many names came up, some obvious some less than obvious. Our consensus guess is Steve Wynn [the Las Vegas guy]. Donald Trump was a distant second.

The why is a but more complex. Trump likes trophy real estate and trophy women so we thought this purchase would put him out of his league.

Steve Wynn on the other hand just dropped $11.3 million last week for a silly painting by some guy named after a toothpaste, Rembrandt . He could almost have bought 2 1933s with that cash if they gave a discount.

All kidding aside and this is the intrigue of the "why", Wynn can buy anything but likes to buy high profile. Why not buy a high profile coin and then start to buy other high profile coins and promote the heck out of them in his Bellagio museum? People are flocking to this museum which I must say is very tastefully done, to see art.

Can historically significant coins be that much of a stretch?

Comments

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    can you guess the owners of the 1964 peace dollars?

K S
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I give...I have the dang thing! My dog's like to chew on the rims and throw it in the air and watch it hit the tile floor. Katie dropped it in the toilet while getting a drink. But hey, if ya want it it's now for sale. Just PM me an offer.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    Wynn can't put it in Bellagio....he doesn't have Bellagio any more...MGM Grand bought Mirage a few years back.

Doesn't sound like Wynn...his "collecting" laser beam has always been focused on art.
  • Options
    In all seriousness why hide the fact that you own it?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I guess he/she just doesn't want or need the Registry points...image
  • Options
    nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500

<< <i>I guess he/she just doesn't want or need the Registry points...image >>

imageimage
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Nope, it's Bill Gates.
    DSW
  • Options
    Sorry...I'm Bill Gates, and I didn't buy it.....didn't fit in with my crappy Morgan collection...
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

George Huang bought it
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Twodogs bought it, but he's too modest to say so.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I heard somewhere that a very wealthy female Country Music singer bought it.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    In all seriousness why hide the fact that you own it?
    Because, it adds *even more* mystery and intrigue to this coin. It didn't sell for $7 mil. the last time because it was another ho-hum rarity. The story behind the coin sold it. The fact that it has once again "disappeared" will add more mystery, intrigue, etc. and it keeps it on everybody's mind, at least on a low level, until the current owner is willing to sell it again. Probably, for the same reason the current owner will not have it slabbed. People are thinking, is it really an MS65? In my opinion, the current owner is acting very wisely and the coin will top $12 mil. the next time it is on the block, which I will boldly guess to be in the year 2007.
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Maybe it didn't really get sold.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I didn't buy it, so that should narrow it down a bit.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>In all seriousness why hide the fact that you own it? >>

One, security concerns. Two, to cut down on all the bothersome requests to see it, unsolicted offers from people who want to sell you their coins, both from the general public and dealers, and requests from a large segment of joe public asking you questions about their coins that you can't possibly answer.

Ask anyone who HAS publicly purchased one of these major rarities and you will hear about all the annoying requests and junk mail. Kind of like what happened to all the dealers back during that "My wife spent my 1943 copper cent" hoax.

It's just easier to stay anonymous.
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't buy it, so that should narrow it down a bit. >>

Bummer, claw...was hoping we could talk you into bringing it up to Anaheim for pass around !! image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I heard somewhere that a very wealthy female Country Music singer bought it. >>

Dam, now I'm gonna have day dreams about Shania Twain and the 1933 St. Gaudens in bed at the same time. Hoo-Ya.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Really Eddie bought it and just doesn't want anybody to know.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Yoko Ono, with John's money.
    DSW

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file