Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Posting images to registry sets

A friend who reads this forum but isn't registered asked me to post this. He'd like to add images to his sets but is having problems when he gets to the uploading phase. I can't help him since I don't have a set listed. Could someone share some details, or link a thread that explained this in the past? In his words, "I've managed to create some files of merged obverse/reverse pics of less than 100KB. Being as computer capable as an early hominid from the cenozoic era, I can't seem to figure out the steps to making them appear on big screen inside black box." Thanks in advance from both of us.

Comments

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have only down it once - but it seemd that all I needed to know was the file name and where it was because it gave me a "browse" screen and I had to find my file and click on it
  • dldallendldallen Posts: 359 ✭✭
    While PCGS posts the limit at 100k, I've noticed that they really need to be about 95k or less taking into account file names. Another thing is that file names should not have any spaces or special characters. While they can be long file names, tell him not to use spaces or characters. My naming format is simple, for example 1971SPF.jpg or 1971SMS.jpg. Anything else and I remember the system spitting them back at me. Good luck, Dave

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they'll email me, I'll help. Let me know.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • One more thing that is real important- - -each file must have a different name. While this seems obvious, I once had my files separated into directories by denomination, so all of my 1967 SMS photos had the file name 1967sms.jpg, as dldallen indicated he has done. When I got done uploading them, all five 1967 SMS coins had exactly the same picture (the last one I had uploaded). So if you upload a file with a duplicate name, you will not be warned, it'll merely link that image to whatever used to be using that name. I changed my standard naming convention to be the slab number to avoid that situation.

Pete
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul, let us know if the information you have received is not adequate. I can give my methods, but I am sure it has be given completely.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • One more thing: Make sure the filenames end with.jpg
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    I came here to post a thread asking for help with posting images to registry sets, but I see there is one already.

I've been trying to post images but can't seem to do it right. I click on "browse" and then just double click the image file. However, I just get a message stating that special characters can not be in the file name. What do I need to do? image
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Tassa, Rename your image so there are no space's. It happened to me too. I had named an image 1946 D and it would
    not take it. Then I renamed it 1946-D and it still would not take it. Then I renamed it 1946D and it loaded OK. the system
    will not allow space's or characters in the image name.
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Files can be renamed in Windows Explorer by highlighting the file name, pressing the F2 key, and then re-typing the new name. As others have mentioned, the name cannot contain spaces or special characters, such as ( !@#$%&*-+).

I try to be as descriptive as possible when saving my files, so a 1916-D dime graded by PCGS as MS67FB would be named 1916D10cPCGS67FB. That way, I can distinguish 2 or more coins of the same date in different grades. If I have more than one of the same date and grade, I put an A or B (or C,D,etc) at the end of the file name.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Ah! That's the problem. I had spaces in my file names.
    Thanks for your help. image

• << <i>Tassa, Rename your image so there are no space's. It happened to me too. I had named an image 1946 D and it would
    not take it. Then I renamed it 1946-D and it still would not take it. Then I renamed it 1946D and it loaded OK. the system
    will not allow space's or characters in the image name. >>

Tried uploading my scans today and ran into a brick wall. Then I remembered reading some posts about the subject and did a search for "images". Your message spelled out my exact problem/error. Thanks!
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've uploaded most of my coins to the sets.

I used Microsoft Photo Edito, but most editing porgrams have teh same capacity for cropping, etc.

I make a blank picture. Then I cut and paste the obverse scan of the picture, then I paste the reverse scan next to it. I crop the picture to just fit the two shots. Then I resize it. I've found that 5.75" for the width (it will automatically adjust the heighth) will make a jpg file that PCGS will accept.

At the Registry Set, when you Edit your coin, it will show a button on the far right to add a picture. It will open up your hard drive. Find your picture and click on it.

Others have given you good advice about the names. I usually put something like 1915SLincolknMS64Rd.jpg, 1936WashingtonMS63.jpg, etc.

Always works.