Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has Anyone Tried the G&F Monthly Buying Program?

I am thinking about trying the G&F monthly buying program for certified world coins. For $100 per month you get 2 world coins minimum graded NGC or PCGS MS65, all from 1800 - 1935.

Besides world coins, they have a bunch of catagories. You pick the catagory (Morgans, 20th Century, Franklins, etc) and the amount, and they pick coins in that catagory for you.

Normally I would not do that sort of program. However, certified world coins are hard to find, so I am thinking about it.

Has anyone else had experience with one of their programs.

Greg

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭
    I never tried their program. I did buy a number of neat slabbed DDO and DDR Lincolns from Gerry. They were very nice coins.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    JamericonJamericon Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    I tried their programs once about four years ago. It was the 20th century type category, raw, and I chose the cheapest value (out of caution not cost). I received four coins- 1941 Walker, 1942S Mercury, 1942 Lincoln and a 1937 Buffalo. All the coins were great and true gems. But they were common, which is how I perceived the other categories would be also. So although I was getting great coins at wholesale prices, they were common coins and sell for those prices anyway. And in my opinion that it was you will mostly receive. In short, it was no better than buying these coins from other major dealers.
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I did a $25 monthly program from some company 20+ years ago. In a way it was fun because you'd get a surprise every month, but the shipment always had their profit margin built in, so they aren't usually a very good deal.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    if you have

high expectations
    are extremely picky
    and do not want common coins

then you will be excessively/extremely disappointed

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    they've offered that for 25 years, i always assumed it was some kind of long-running joke. no collector would ever even consider it.

K S
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    I am on a monthly buying program for bridges. It's with a nice company in Romania. See, I send them $500 every month, and then they send me a deed on a bridge (of thier choice, of course). They are usually common bridges and nothing great....so far. Although my friend did receive the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco a few months ago....that was cool.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm currently in their monthly buying program, at a relatively low price point. They do have very nice coins. I've only gotten one coin that I didn't like from them, and they gladly took the return, replaced it with a very very nice gem and threw in an extra coin (peace dollar) for my time. I'd highly recommend them. They're also very flexible...you can actually send them a want list and they will fulfill it. Obviously, though within reason. You can't get on a fifty dollar a month program and get a bunch of PCGS MS68 scarce date gold, however. image If you want to try them out, make a one-time purchase without joining the program, then if you like what you see then join. If you have any other questions just PM me.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always wondered how these things work from a dealer point of view......seems to me that it is just a vehicle to clear out unsold inventory periodically.

Although, I remember from when I was a kid, there was this thing on the back of Coinage where you could send in $10/month, they had a picture of a bunch of gem proof type coins with it (which no doubt would have cost a lot more than $10) which I always thought would be a kewl set to put together. It was basically a 1936 or 1937 proof set with the Lincoln replaced by an earlier Indian. I never bought any coins from them but I still want that type set image
  • Options
    I tried it a while ago; the coins were fine, but I might as well have gone
    and picked out specific coins as I wasn't saving any money on prices that
    I saw other places. If you want to have some surprises show up once a
    month, go ahead. They didn't cheat me on quality, I just didn't see a real
    advantage to buying that way.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Exactly. They certainly don't cheat you on quality, but you're paying full price too. Not too much value. It is fun to get a surprize each month.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file