Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for someone who got the B&M catalog

I was paging thru it and saw the 1935 peace dollar on page 255 and am amazed at how much chatter is on the cheek plus the hits on the bottom of the neck for being a 67. Anyone else think it's overgraded or is it just a bad pic?

Comments

• Options
    "PCGS has not graded any higher than MS-66." Probably with good reason, I agree, that's not a 67. Overgraded.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good catch- I guarantee stupid money for the plastic.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone chasing numbers for the Registry will jump on thatimageAl
  • Options
    Have you taken a look at the King on page 215? You really believe that's a PF58? I sure don't. Motto is incomplete, very noticeable wear on wings, lines in shield blended together, stars weak, no 58 there. Buy the coin people, not the slab. image
  • Options
    Page 214 actually, the 1804 Dollar. PF58?? Hmmm
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks, IT DOES NOT MATTER what number is on the slab of that coin.

I don't care if PCGS put a "71" on it as long as they guarantee authenticity.........

Yes, I agree the 58 is probably not consistent with other slabbed 1804s. Doesn't matter. This coin will sell for it's history, it's pedigree, the thousands of pages written about 1804s, and not for some $30 opinion from PCGS.

Think about it this way.......suppose your buddy bought this coin......and then was showing it off to everyone and you happened by......would you start loudly complaining about how PCGS misgraded it???? Somehow I think there are more important things to talk about when it comes to 1804s. And you probably wouldn't have a cool coin buddy after that either image
  • Options
    Coin,

I disagree there. That number can make a coin worth more money to people who only care about the plastic the coin is encapsulated in. If that coin was graded a 68 instead of a 58, regardless of what we thought, it would likely bring over $4 million just because the plastic said so! PCGS would simply not exist if these numbers did not make people money. They mean EVERYTHING. I agree, it's a bit different when you have a coin with the history of the 1804 but that number means everything to plastic lovers.
  • Options
    There's no grade guarantee on that, anyway...

Think about it- PCGS can't replace it... they can't find a market price difference... clean it, whizz it, it's still an 1804 dollar and that's what counts... if the 1913 liberty nickel is holed, it will still sell for over $1 million because of what it is, not what the holder says. Besides a coin that famous is known by the graders- if it went for a regrade, you better believe they'd know how it started, and that it won't then change.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I don't think a holed '13 libnick would bring $1 million. Maybe $500k, but not a mil.
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I agree it sure dosn't look like a 58 but who really cares on a coin like that? If it were a 45 or a 58 i think it would bring close to the same amount but if it were higher than a 60 then i think it would bring more than a 58 just because of the fact that it has survived so long without being circulated.
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549

<< <i>Anyone else think it's overgraded or is it just a bad pic? >>

I love you guys who look at one huge picture of a coin, focus in on a problem or two, then declare, as if it could be no other way, that one of the two most respected grading companies in history has obviously blown another one.

I don't know if it's "overgraded" or if it is a "bad pic." I do know that the pic is twice the size of a peace dollar, and consequently any "problems" you're seeing might actually appear twice as bad as they would if you had the coin in your hand.

The coin doesn't seem noticeably worse than the coin on the immediately preceding page, about which there has been no complaint, yet, (although the toning on the 35 looks just dandy, to me). This isn't an ms70 here, just obviously a really nice coin. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mind owning either of them.

z
  • Options
    My point is not how much the coin is worth. I agree with all of you. My point is that PCGS should not grade something, even an 1804 Dollar, so high when it shouldn't be graded that high, regardless of its pedigree, where it's been or who is selling it. Even people that can afford these pieces would rather have the best of the best so they're going to pay more for a higher graded specimen, like the PR68 Childs coin. It still does make a difference in price, even on a coin like this.
  • Options
    Relative to each other, they are graded fine... the Childs 68, as I've heard, isn't a 68... so knock it, and every other 1804 dollar down a few points, and voila... different numbers, same relative grades. People here are buying rarity and an amazing tale/pedigree. They aren't buying the plastic.
  • Options
    I see. So why is it in a 68 holder, if it's really not a 68 and the grade apparently doesn't matter? That's interesting to me...
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Zenny, did you read Maben's great article on becoming a grader? If you didn't, you should take the few minutes. It's a great read. It reminded me again how skilled these folks really are, and so did your post.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options

<< <i>I see. So why is it in a 68 holder, if it's really not a 68 and the grade apparently doesn't matter? That's interesting to me... >>

The pedigreed and famous stuff does seem to get a few extra points... granted that is still not "acceptable," the market doesn't seem to mind... at least no the sellers, and buyers don't seem to be complaining, either.

As for coins that are such rarities, I'll stand behind my position that the grade DOES NOT matter. The demand is so high, and the rarity so exceptional, that people DON'T buy points here... you can see one is better than the other, but hey, that doesn't mean someone's going to pass up a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

As Legend if her coin is overgraded. Although probably not, ask her if she actually cares. I remember her talking about how for over 25 years, her biggest goal was to own a 1913 Liberty nickel. She didn't say a piece of plastic that says 1913 Liberty Nickel on it... she said an actual nickel was what she wanted. She owns the nickel, and I'm sure she doesn't care what the holder actually says.

Jeremy
  • Options
    that one of the two most respected grading companies in history has obviously blown another one

Let history actually be the judge of that, I don't believe 16 years is enough time.

Take all your coins out of your cabinet and look at them for about five hours with no breaks and tell me you don't make a mistake. Indeed they have a great deal of skill but they are not perfect. Your eyes can easily miss something when your under a light and a magnifying glass for 8 hours on end. They're nice coins, just don't know if they would be in a 67 PCGS holder.
  • Options
    Yeah Don, i read it. Very interesting, and i sure don't have any problem with those guys earning the big bucks. That is a job, no question about it.

Missed you at the advanced grading seminar, by the way. We didn't see nearly as many coins, but we did see some beauts. One of the things we learned was how often a coin makes it to the finalizer just to be broken out and regraded. They said this happens up to 20-25% of the time! They said sometimes the coin just "doesn't look right in the slab." Sometimes a coin graded dmpl just looks wrong, or the toning looks darker; I guess any number of things can make a coin look much better out of a slab than in it, (right, karl?).

Or, I guess sometimes they put a coin in, say, a 66 holder and they look at it and decide it looks so obviously stupid in there that they better bump it up to a 67....
  • Options
    Jeremy,

I agree with you 100% but I believe the context of what I meant to say is being misunderstood. I am by no means saying a PF58 1804 Dollar isn't a desirable coin, I would love to have it even in the holder it's in but there is no denying the fact that a PR68 will bring more money than a PR65 if they were sold on the same day, simply because the PR68 is the finer of the two. Sure, it may not matter if they're overgraded but what I mean to say is that the number, even if it is inflated, does make a difference in the ending price, even on rarities such as the 1913 nickel and 1804 Dollar.

There may not be many coins to compare them with but let's use a hypothetical argument. Say you had two 1913 Liberty nickels, one a 66 and the other a 64. The 66 would probably hit a little more than the 64 because of the grade. Indeed they are rarities, but the grade DOES matter.

I'm in no way saying it is wrong of PCGS to put a 68 on an 1804 Dollar but if you put the 68 up against the NGC 67, the 68 is still going to bring slightly more money if sold on the same day. Why? Because it's graded higher and therefore is more desirable as the finer of the two.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I missed being there. Best investment of my time I can think of. Next year for sure. As for looking goofy in the holder, I know that's true. Several of mine look like totally different coins out of the plastic. I'm sure the finalizer also knows that occasionally the guys get overcome by luster, and go blind to marks.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options

<< <i>Let history actually be the judge of that, I don't believe 16 years is enough time.

Take all your coins out of your cabinet and look at them for about five hours with no breaks and tell me you don't make a mistake. Indeed they have a great deal of skill but they are not perfect. Your eyes can easily miss something when your under a light and a magnifying glass for 8 hours on end. They're nice coins, just don't know if they would be in a 67 PCGS holder. >>

At this point in time, which is all we have, are you saying the NGC and PCGS are not, by far, the two most respected grading companies?

Anyway, as they mention in the catalog, NGC has only graded 96 ms67's for the entire peace dollar series. (The PCGS pop report that I have handy is from two years ago, when they had awarded the grade 110 times.) It appears that neither company just gives out a grade of 67 on a whim.

I agree that when I see the coin in person I may find it not quite as stellar as the write up it's been given. (Although there's an equal chance that I will find the coin quite satisfying.)

I'm just not as quick as some to denigrate an opinion such as this on the basis of one photo.
  • Options
    I'm not saying they aren't the most respected but they certainly are not perfect. In fact, the text even says that PCGS has never graded a 67 of that particular date. NGC DOES have a tendency to be a little on the high side, in comparison to PCGS. That's all, no foul. I just believe there is probably a reason PCGS has never graded a 67 of that date.
  • Options
    image Re: the Proof-58 PCGS 1804 $1, many, many years ago it began life in an NGC EF-45 holder! There's gradeflation at its finest...that one has been to each of the services more than once, each time climbing until it hit the final resting place, Proof-58. If it goes any higher, someone will call the FTC or some other place and see just why it keeps getting better with all the handling, not worse.image Re: the Childs Proof-68...I sat in a bank vault in W'boro NH with QDB, JP, JB, and GW and handed that coin around a table when it was still raw. We all agreed that it had to be a 68 by default because of all the 62-63 dogs they had already called 65, 66, and 67! We were right, they were literally forced to give it a 68! The Byron Reed 1804 $1, which I also handled out in Omaha when I went to value the collection with Rick Bagg when we belonged to B and M during the good old days, was so obviously cleaned we wanted to wretch, and we weren't alone, some of the finest players in the hobby/biz were there on consecutive days to value the coins, and we ALL agreed the coin was harshly cleaned and horribly retoning. Where is it now? In an ICG holder called Proof-63! An '04 is an '04 is an '04, call it what you will, there will always be a buyer! I know first hand!
    The Unknown Numismatic Giant
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    To add to the question i asked that started this thread....

I was really just trying to learn how to grade peace dollars and wanted to know if the cheek (which i thought was an important part of the grade) could look like that and still get the 67 grade. Like i said i haven't seen it and just based my opinion on a pic BUT that pic is what a lot of people are going to look at and deside from that pic how much they want to spend on that coin.
  • Options

<< <i>but there is no denying the fact that a PR68 will bring more money than a PR65 if they were sold on the same day, simply because the PR68 is the finer of the two. >>

Remember- I said the grades are relative. Let's say the Child's coin is really only a 66 (more likely a 67)... that means your hypothetical 65 is really a 63- the spread is the same, and the coins are the same. One is clearly finer than the other, and that can be seen either by the fact that the grades, regardless of grade inflation, are 3 points apart, or just noticing that one coin has more marks.

Remember when there was the ruckus about the 1933 double eagle being called a 65 with that gash on its knee? Did it matter? The coin was still the very same coin... if the plastic changed, it wasn't going to be less desireable.

Jeremy
  • Options
    You basically just reiterated my point Jeremy. That's precisely what I was trying to say to begin with.

mbbiker, I still stand by my statement that it should not be a 67 judging by the cheek, even if it is just a photograph. I don't think it would hit that in a PCGS holder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file