Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do you know about Benchmark Ventures, LP in Dana, CA (BVCoins)??

Reputable? Ever do business with them? Ever sold coins to them?

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    They have a somewhat less than sterling reputation around here. If you do a search on them, you'll find some interesting reading material.

Russ, NCNE
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    i despise them. lemme know if you wanna hear more

K S
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    they have some really nice stuff but I would not buy or sell from them EVER.

I predict they will not be around in 2 years.
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Posts: 2,697
    Just search the boards, you will have several days worth of reading material...
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    Let's just say that they make Hagar look like a Catholic schoolgirl/girl scout.

Definitely a candidate for the "Numismatic Axis of Evil" thread

• scherscher Posts: 924
    i get fax's from these guys all the time and ddo know one of the salesman there who i made an ok transaction with a couple of years back..but have never bought from him at "benchmark"..whats the negative on the company? i will sure steer clear..
    bruce scher
  • littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    Don't they advertise that they have lower prices, but in reality, when you call them up (I don't think they list prices anymore, PORs thing) they have higher prices than other dealers.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
    Damage control has arrived.

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>Damage control has arrived. >>

<< <i>I would suggest that if you have questions on our reputation and/or standings in the rare coin industry, please call any of the following individuals or companies for a reference or feel free to call me. >>

too late dude, your "reputation" in the biz has already been established quite firmly, thank you very much.

oh, & thanks for the list of your cronies as well.

K S
  • Dude, your customers are the best judge of your reputation. Have those individuals purchased coins from you in the recent past? I've already tried to get in touch with some of those individuals and they will not return my calls.

<< <i>I've already tried to get in touch with some of those individuals and they will not return my calls. >>

He knows that the people on that list are very hard to get ahold of for us mere mortals, even if we wanted to take him up on the offer. Besides, does anybody believe that movers and shakers operating at that level would come right out and say a company sucks, even if said company actually does?

Pretty safe to post it.

Russ, NCNE
  • ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    To the current President of Benchmark Ventures,

It appears NOBODY has anything good to say about your company.
    The references that you have listed would go a long way in reinstating the trust and integrity that seem to be lacking at BV Coins.

My suggestion would be to have those references post a positve statement of your ethical, honest dealings, to dispel all of the negativity attached to Benchmark Ventures.

A short statement from David Hall or Mark Salzberg, etc. declaring your company is upstanding and beneficial to coin collectors, and that they stand behind you, would be welcomed and appreciated.

If the references you provided are true friends, then the statements they provide will surely set the members of this forum staight.

All of the references that you provided here will most likely be attending the ANA, and I for one will ask any and hopefully all of
    them, if Benchmark Ventures is a company we can trust and feel at ease doing business with.

I would ask the references if they know who Steve Contursi is as well as Christian Briggs, Todd Griffiths, David Hunt, and any other employes employed or owning an interest in Benchmark Ventures.

Regards,
    Zerbe
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A short statement from David Hall or Mark Salzberg, etc. declaring your company is upstanding and beneficial to coin collectors, and that they stand behind you, would be welcomed and appreciated.

I doubt that David Hall or Mark Salzberg would be willing to make such a statement about ANY coin dealer. Nor should they. If they set a precedent like that, things could get very ugly very quickly.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big boys DO make endorsements for ANA offices and things of that ilk.

So........any of these BV folks ever run for ANA offices?
    honesty, ethics, morals, business sense, are all part of establishing a good reputation. the behavior of these people at the coin show in st. louis several months ago made me positively retch. like i said, if you need to know more, i'll look for that other thread.

K S
    the blood is in the water

get him boys!

<< <i>Hi everyone – here is a quick note of thanks to all our customers and friends who have called and emailed in with their support. >>

Uh, yeah, okay. I believe that. How about anybody else?

Well, at least you guys aren't spamming me anymore.

Russ, NCNE

CoinPete

Wednesday July 23, 2003 4:22 PM (NEW!)

Hi everyone – here is a quick note of thanks to all our customers and friends who have called and emailed in with their support. We look forward to seeing you in Baltimore at Booth # 803. We will be offering some of the world's greatest United States Rare Coins.

================================================
    I am so glad that your moral is lifted. image
    I just want to declare that, I WAS NOT ONE OF THE CUSTOMERS, who called, and good luck to any customers who did.image

Anybody bold enough to aknowledge that they are a happy customer of Benchmark Ventures ???????

Zerbe
  • Zerbe,

Define customer. Define happy.

I got their spam, did that make me a "customer"?

I am happy they stopped.

Do I now qualify as a "happy customer"? imageimage

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to recall meeting a Benchmark representative at the last FUN, and, while I knew next to nothing about their company, he knew me (obviously from these forums- I was wearing the Holey Coin Vest and stood out like a sore thumb.)

He was very pleasant and struck me as a nice guy. The coins I saw were standout, "Wow" material.

Sure, I've gotten the spam in my inbox, but I just delete it. It'll be a cold day you-know-where before I could afford any of their offerings!

(There was some nice stuff to look at at the show, though. Their 1792 disme was probably the one coin that left the biggest impression on me at the 2003 show).

Edit: Gee, after reading the rest of this thread, I guess my positive reaction puts me in the vast minority! image

Well, I've never done business with them. Only had that one casual encounter. Maybe they gained points with me because the guy was so friendly. All too many dealers at the show weren't. (Although I didn't meant any world class rude jerks this last time, like I did at the 2002 show, and some other shows.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Well it has been 48 hours since I asked if there could possibly be any {happy customers of Benchmark Ventures} on this forum. Not one reply !!
    None of the "references" mentioned by COINPETE has offered to come forth with a good word in their support.

Does this surprise anybody ???

Case closed !!!, unless COINPETE wants to open it up again.
    Back from the dead.

Russ, NCNE
    1 of the best "short threads" out there

K S
  • NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    Hey pete, I might consider endorsing your company for, ooooooooohhhh, mmmaaaaayyyybbeeeeeee, $560,000.00 and a chyt load of free gradings. image

Jim
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

CoinPete

Also, Dorkkarl, let me set the record straight. Almost ALL of the staff at Benchmark have children, and you can be assured that NONE of us have EVER acted in the manner you accuse. YOU should check your records. Be advised that Benchmark did NOT have any booth at the show in Saint Louis. Could you possibly have been standing in front of another booth? By the way, who are you, and why do you hide behind a nickname?

Todd Griffiths ??
    President
    Benchmark Ventures LP

Peter Cabral ??
    PWC@BVCoins.com
    Benchmark Ventures LP

????

Which one is which?

TP

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji