Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Help with a recent purchase

Just thought I'd ask you all how you'd handle this...

I was wondering if any of you have had any dealings with customer service at PSA in regard to "overgrading" issues. I think a card I just bought squeeked through their normally extremely careful, prudent, almost foolproof, nothin but good things to say, generally right 99% of the time, process [ie read into this as a "no banning plea"] and was assigned a higher grade than is warranted. I know most of you would say big whoop and count your blessings, but having a paper wrinkle on the back of a PSA 8 bums me out [PSA 4?]. If I'd submitted it, koodos to me, but I bought this off of ebay and psychologically it doesn't feel right for my registry set. I understand that no one is perfect, and mistakes do happen...

It's a 3xxxxxxxx series number from a reputable dealer so I'd think it was recently graded and not part of some WIWAG situation.

Does PSA have a policy on this - written, unwritten - and have any of you faced similar situations? I know we have all seen graded cards from various other companies that are 'tweeners but if I'd seen the back to "buy the card and not the holder", I would have passed on by on this one....

In several years and many many cards, this is the first one that I really have to scratch my head at so at least that is saying something for PSA's top notch quality controls.

Jerster

Comments

• Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I will give you $6 for it
    right now
    sight unseen

what a deal!!!
    imageimage
  • Options
    If you found a wrinkle on the back of a PSA-8, PSA should apologize profusely and take care of you (and I don't mean ban you).

When things like this have happened to me, I have spoken with Charlie, and he has told me to just send the card back. Charlie is not the customer service king now, so I'm not sure what will happen.

Try them at 1-800-325-1121. Talk to the regular customer support person first. If you don't get what you want (after you have made yourself clear, there should be no talk of your paying for anything, except the cost of shipping the card to PSA), call again and ask the operator for the head of customer service. Try with this person. I don't know if you are the type who goes insane while speaking to online customer service, but please try to stay sane. It will absolutely not help to go insane.

Please let us know what happens.

If you don't get what you should get, there are people here who will probably pick it up and run with it from there.

Another thing: If your seller is good, you should be able to return the card to them, if you'd rather go that route. If you try that, let us know how that works, too.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    jerster...

Wow...Are you a political figure in your 'real" life?? You sure write like one...Very Good!!

Anyway, if you feel that strongly about this card, by all means CALL PSA!!! In the past years, I have had a few concerns with the grade, or the package, or the flip (data), and PSA has ALWAYS come forth with professionalism and a true concern to do the right thing. Neither you, the rest of us, or PSA, wants to have any unresolved issues "hanging around". It's bad for business for everybody. Pick up the phone, call the toll free # (800) 325-1121. You'll see that your concern will be addressed.

Let us know what happens!!

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Peter Ma is the customer sales rep these days -- and he is typically a very helpful person.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Had this happen last year with a vintage PSA 9 NQ FB card that is abour 22/78 R/L on the top. I called and they were helpful but was told that there was a $10 fee to re-evaluate the card. If they like it they keep the fee, if they don't -- they start making good. I don't remember if they refund the $10 but they do reholder the card and offer the difference in SMR grades between the old one and the new one. I paid less than SMR for an 8 and decided not to hassle with it at that time and the dealer not only told me up front but offered to take it back. It is in the wrong holder, no doubt. But I will fix mine later as it is not part of a set yet.
    I guess that makes me stupid because:
    I collect plastic.
    I have lots of set registry points.

Do what you want but they were very willing ultimately to stand behind the card. If you paid more than SMR however, watch out and you will be left (one way or another) with a card you don't want. I'd start with the dealer.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    if you got a high grade, why do you want to turn it into a worse grade. i could understand if a 9 was graded a 5 and you got screwed, but this is stupid to take a good 8 or 9 and then get them to lower it to a 5 or 6. why do you not just keep it?