Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916 SLQ... is this fishy????

take a look at this ebay auction.. Check out the "6" in the date. Is this a scam or the real thing??
1916 SLQ

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see...

1- Super-rare date
    2- eBay
    3- Raw

Yes, I do believe it is fishy...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. The 6 does look weird. And, as previously mentioned, it's a rare date, raw coin on eBay.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Yep thats trout if I ever smelled it.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The head separates the beads around the border the way it is supposed to on a 1916.
  • Options
    Here's one I just sold a couple of weeks ago. Compare the "6" on this one to the raw one. They look the same to me.

Genuine 1916 SLQ

It's raw because it's been cleaned and can't be slabbed (except by ANACS).

Of course, it's a major stretch when the seller states he can see no wear! The question that must be asked is: Why isn't it at least in an ANACS slab? For a valuable coin like that, why not invest $20?

Here's a photo of an AU-55 I just sold today:

1916 AU-55

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Those two you posted Iras4 are stunning. Especially the FH in 64. WOW!!!!!!!!

As for the `fishy raw piece` how would everyone grade it. Put yourself in an ANACS graders shoes and
    give your `ANACS` grade.

I,ll start...............VF details.. Net F-12 Cleaned.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

The head is 1916 head style, and the toe is 1916 style (hugh one). I can't see weather the drapery is V shape or is U shape.

I believe this is a good one, but cleaned.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    I have a funny feeling I may know the unsuccessful high bidder.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file