Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's so cool about THIS civil war token?? (Answer)

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's another great coin. Let me know if you can tell why it's so interesting. Closeups later.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    I like these mystery CWT threads...I see a major die crack, what looks like remnants of an overstruck coin's denticles along the rim, and something I can't make out in the reverse fields under the left portion of the scale.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Gruber" is the Gruber of Clark, Gruber, & Co., maybe?

BTW, that Flyer pattern in your sig line is major eye candy...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Struck over half or large cent?

Neat piece.

Kyle
  • Options
    What is one "dram", anyway?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY AWESOME COIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I think a "dram" was a unit of liquid measure. (Which would make sense, it being an apothecary token). I've seen old medicine bottles with measures in drams.

Come to think of it, I guess my earlier guess about Gruber must be wrong, unless he also happened to be a druggist? image

(Nope. That was "E.H. Gruber". I just checked online.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    That's lettering under the scale, the placement could be ONE CENT, and the denticles have a FE look to them. It couldn't be an 1856, could it?
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Struck over a regular indian cent?

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    I hope this shows the feature better - what do you think now??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Dang- can't see it. But that's probably this monitor, and the bright flourescent lighting in the room. (I'm at work).

• Options
    Struck over a Fleagle!

WOW...that IS cool!
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    Is there a date on that flying eagle?
  • Options
    Well, Shylock and Kyleknap get the prize! (Well, the satisfaction of being correct).

Struck over a Fleagle!

Is that a correct numismatic contraction of flying eagle??image

It's struck over a 1858 small letter flying eagle cent. The 1863 overstrikes are common. Other dates are much rarer. A 1859 recently sold for nearly 2K at the Heritage auction in LB. A 1856 overstrike has never been found. The range of known dates is 1857 to 1864. Later dates are unknown as it would only prove that the coin was made after CWT's were outlawed.

(I have contributed nothing original to this discussion - all info. provided to me by books and/or Bret at EERC).
  • Options

<< <i>That's lettering under the scale, the placement could be ONE CENT, and the denticles have a FE look to them. It couldn't be an 1856, could it? >>

Maybe you could get the collectors club quarterly free submission.
    Glenn

Live Long and Prospect.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Definately struck over an FE, and a nice one at that. Looks like it was in pretty good shape when they overstruck it.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(I have contributed nothing original to this discussion - all info. provided to me by books and/or Bret at EERC). >>

That's hogwash! You DID provide something original to the discussion - unless you stole the images and was told to pst it here. You sharing your knowledge with people is what's original about it. You present it in such a way as to make people think, make them take a close look at and appreciate some tokens that they otherwise may never see, especially in the grades you are sharing them in. Don't discount the importance of wat you are doing here. It may be all in fun for you, but you are breeding thought, and that breeds collectors. I have wanted to get into CWTs for a long time, but have been apprehensive because of finances and the fact that I am already armpits deep into another specialty....but what you are doing makes me all the more interested. I say kudos to you and a job extremely well done!
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    PS - It's advertising a pharmacist or apothacary, the weight being one dram. That is the reason for the scales. Here are the English weight equivalents.

avoirdupois weights

16 drams = 1 ounce
    16 ounces = 1 pound
    7 pounds = 1 clove
    14 pounds = 1 stone
    28 pounds = 1 tod
    112 pounds = 1 hundredweight
    364 pounds = 1 sack
    2240 pounds = 1 ton
    2 stones = 1 quarter
    4 quarters = 1 hundredweight
    20 hundredweight = 1 ton

• Options
    That's a great token Lakes, and I agree with Coppercoins about your presentation. Ever see the movie "Blow Up"? -- you had me as obsessed as John Travalta, blowing this up in Photoshop and spinning it in every possible direction.

In your closeup I can see the faint outlines of the tailfeathers on the right side.
  • Options
    PS: Lakes actually supplied a clue without intending to. I started comparing his CWT with the pattern in his signature right below it image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file