Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1877 Indian Head Cent PCGS AU55..What ya all think its worth.. thank you

Buying one like to know what you all think it might be worth..thank you

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really going to depend on what the coin looks like? Color, detail, strike, surface preservation. (Eye appeal)? and the service its in

A PCGS-55 with nice eye-appeal, strike and color would sell for at least 2300.00+ on e-bay.

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    best advice: do not buy sight-unseen

K S
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    1877 PCGS AU55...

What denomination? And you want a return priviledge.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>best advice: do not buy sight-unseen >>

Excellent advice, Karl. Good thing there's a dealer on every corner and a show every week in every town in the country so that one always has the opportunity to follow that advice.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Good catch nwcs.... I just presumed it was an Indian cent he was asking about....
    If it's a $20 Liberty Gold, it would surely make a differance...
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    I just assumed he was talking about an Indian, since he collects cents?
  • Options
    Sorry its a 1877 Indian Head Cent PCGS AU55
  • Options
    You could probably get one for around $2,200/$2,300. Indian cents in this high grade are snatched rather quickly though so grab it. I saw an AU58 PCGS example sell about a month ago on eBay for $2900.
  • Options
    1877 Indian head cent
  • Options

<< <i><< best advice: do not buy sight-unseen >> Excellent advice, Karl. Good thing there's a dealer on every corner and a show every week in every town in the country so that one always has the opportunity to follow that advice. >>

note that as i've stated before, "sight-unseen" includes buying w/ a full-return privilege, ie. you get to see the coin IN-HAND before committing to it.

K S
  • Options
    btw, imo, a 1877 indian head that is a bonafide au-55 should be valued much closer to au-50 then ms-60. don't let some wiseacre dealer try to stick you w/ a price very close to unc.

K S
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An AU 55 should be priced higher than a MS 60 - the 60's are really ugly MS coins!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I agree with lakes on this, Nice PCGS Au-55 and 58 1877's bring much stronger prices than Ms-60 coins, They are far nicer in eye-appeal in most cases. You are not going to find a nice PCGS-55 for close to AU sheet, if so the seller is sleepin at the wheel.

The PCGS-58 that sold recently on e-bay for 2900.00 was bought by Jay parrino who in turned had it listed in his catalog at 3500 or so and sold it.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the comments looks like me buying it for $1975.00 is a good deal......thank you again David
  • Options
    Please does any one have any comments on the price of a 1877 IHC PCGS AU-55 and do you think the AU and MS price will go up like the F-XF prices did this last 5 months...Thank you David
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    I think there will always be collectors actively seeking nice AU 1877's no matter how strong the market is, and prices will remain as strong for these as any in the series. It's the cutoff point for most collector's pocketbooks, and as Lakes mentioned can be so much nicer looking than low MS examples.
  • Options
    I am not sure what pricing guide your referring too, but Ill use the cdn for my comments.

The prices on the 1877 sat stagnant for quite a long time until just recently. Prior to the price correction, 1877's in most grades were trading for levels close to the next grade up price levels or more. Nice Fines selling for vf money, vf's selling easily for xf sheet money, xf coins selling easily for au sheet money. This of course was for nice eye-appealing correctly graded coins (slabbed by PCGS, NGC, and few other's). I have kept a close tab on 77 pricing in higher circulated grades compared to sheet levels and have noticed that sheet levels have adjusted closer to actual prices realized in grades VG thru Vf and possibly XF-40's. However, Nice Xf-45, AU's and especially higher end AU's are still bringing strong levels way above sheet, and IMO, there will be some additional price adjustment upwards for Au thru Ms-63. Maybe slow and little advances at a time though!! (Above Ms-63, I dont follow enough to comment)

There are still some dogs (even PCGS) and not so nice 77's that are for sale on any given day that dont bring the stronger money, that figures into the pricing structure and limits stronger advancement of price in those grades.

• Options
    any one else have any comments on a nice AU55 1877 IHC
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    any one else have any comments on a nice AU55 1877 IHC

only to say that I would absolutely love to own one in that grade but am probably
    not willing to fork over the kind of $$$ one would cost at the `collector grade`
    Heck $400 for an AG3 even sounds crazy but I dont know. Maybe in the foreseeable
    future $400 for an AG3 `77 IHC might sound like a real bargain.
  • Options
    buy the coin, return it if you don't like it. Not much risk there. These coins just don't bite you every day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file