Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"care" and camel hair

I read recently the following: ...with a glossy surface indicating the coin has been treated with "care", a commercial product which is recommended for the preservation of copper and which causes no unfavorable effects, or has been lightly brushed with a camel's hair brush (part of the sheldon recommendation).
Can anyone expand on "care" or the technique and the results of brushing with camels hair? How does a light brushing effect the hard surface of a coin?
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It's really hard picking those camels up, they spit!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I bought a large cent from Doug Bird, a noted large cent guy, who used a camel hair brush on the coin I was buying. He said it was to get rid of the dust that accumulates on coins. He did it right in front of me a the Long Beach coin show. It was a very soft, long haired brush. It left no hair lines or brush marks of any kind.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Not camel hair, but rather goat hair. Use a goat hair jeweler's brush. Care has been off the market for years but Blue Ribbon Coin Conditioner can still be found and works very well. These are silicone oil based products that leave a protective layer on the coin.
    Go here and click on the resources tab for a contact that can hook you up with both the proper brush and Blue Ribbon

link to EAC page
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Care" was good stuff. Haven't seen it in ten years or so. I have some Blue Ribbon.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file