Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What the heck is THIS??

dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got this email, from "elist"

We need your help!!! After three years of being one of eBay's largest sellers. We are thinking about shutting our doors. There are thousands of you fellow eBayers who have not bought from us. WHY??? We really want to know!!! If you have any feedback you can give us, we want to hear it. All emails will be read and replyed to. We need to know. Help us keep our doors open and continue to provide you with the quality coins we have sold to over 5,000 of you.

Respectfully, Paul & Gary

Anybody else get one of these? Anybody know who "Paul & Gary" are, and what this is about?

I'm presuming for the moment this is some novel, trolling spam. imageimage

Comments

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Did you ever buy anything from these people? Or could it be just some more spam-o-rama.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm presuming for the moment this is some novel, trolling spam. >>

I'm presuming for the moment that your presumption is correct. Spammers are getting very creative in their approach. Did I mention that I HATE spam? That I will NEVER do business with anybody who spams? I don't care if they had the last drop of water on earth and I was about to draw my last breath from dehydration - they would not sell it to me.

DIE SPAMMERS!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Damn Russ - don't hold back - tell us how you really feel!!! image
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    He IS holding back! Imgaine what he really thinks! image
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    I got the email too. They should have identified themselves but it's from Fairtraderz on ebay.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I've bought a few coins from Fairtraderz before. The customer service is somewhat wanting, but the coins I've gotten have been nice. I didnt get that spam...

David
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I find it hard to believe fairtraderz would close it's doors. they might stop Ebay selling or maybe they should tone back the amount they list on Ebay.

they seem to do pretty good at shows.
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    I frequently get spam from dealers on eBay. Even dealers I haven't bought from.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    The email address of origin is e-list@rare-things.com. I had to click on Properties to get it.

Is that Faritraderz?

If so, this is one LOUSY piece of marketing!
  • Options

<< <i>The email address of origin is e-list@rare-things.com.

Is that Faritraderz? >>

Yep, that's their web site. Frankly, I'm very disappointed to hear that they've turned to spamming as a marketing tool.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Is it really a surprise Faritraderz is spamming?

I am surprised people are surprised. image
  • Options
    Oh nuts.....
    Michael
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I sent them an email, letting them know (without being specific) that there was some unhappiness being expressed, over what some here perceive to be Spam. image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received it and just as quickly deleted it.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Very diplomatic of you, Mark! image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Looking at their past auctions, it appears as though 75% of their auctions get no bids. Many of the ones that did sell went for under $20. Perhaps the problem is their opening bids are too high.

But in any event, spamming surely isn't going to help.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    OT....Russ, I like that icon of yours. I remember the thread when you had to take that picture to prove to some doubting Thomases that you did in fact have that coin!! Has it been nearly a year already?!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>I remember the thread when you had to take that picture to prove to some doubting Thomases that you did in fact have that coin!! >>

Hehe, you have an excellent memory! Unfortunately, I don't have the coin anymore. It was stolen last year during one of the two breakins I had in under two months. I'm sure the scumbag thought he had some major score on his hands.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    We have a strict policy of NEVER sending anything that even remotely resembles spam. We apply a similar rule to junk mail. We have never sent unsolicited email or junk mail, nor have we ever made any sales phone calls. These comments are not made to "blow our own horns", but rather as a statement that we personally do not condone these types of marketing methods, at least for the rare coin business. Our client database contains hundreds of email addresses and mailing addresses. This information is not used for marketing and is safeguarded out of respect for our client's privacy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file