Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for Lincoln experts

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
The 1922 "plain" or no D cent is worth a premium for the strong reverse die pair #2.

What if any premium is the 1922 no D weak reverse going to bring in Fine assuming it is in a PCGS holder (authentic)

Thanks

in Advance.

Tbig

Comments

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Although the die pair 1 and 3 do carry a premium, the die pair 2 is the one that "counts."

Die pair's 1 and 3 are commonly known as the "weak reverse." I've personally never seen a die 1 or 3 that the reverse would grade any better than G-6 by details. There has been some speculation as to how these coins lost their mint marks. The dominate view is that the mint had to fill a quota. They ran out of dies and couldnt get new ones, so they just continued using the one's they had. To make matters worse, some of the dies may have had some details filled with dirt, oil, or a combination of the two. The result was a poor quality coin with most finer areas of relief absent. The best physical evidence to support this is the existence of the "shadow D" variety. These are 22-D's where the mint mark is just barely visible. The shadow d's can be found in varying degrees of relief. The thought there is that over the striking life of the die, the mint mark was being filled with the greasy residue produced from the minting process.

Die pair 2 is known as the "strong reverse." On this particular example, a old worn die (obv) is thought to have been paired with a new (rev.) die. This is thought to be because of a die clash where the obv die made it though without significant damage, but the rev. die was rendered unusable. On this example, the D is thought to be missing because it was physically removed; not because the D was filled with something. A mint worker is thought to have rubbed the D off while either reworking the die, or rubbing it hard with a cloth to remove the mint grease from it... I've read both accounts.

I've had a few examples of the die pair two and am pretty familiar with their market value. I have no clue on the market value weak rev.'s, though. They are less desirable and will bring substantially less than the die #2's.

I hope this helps,
    David
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I just checked heritage's closed auctions. It looks like a 22 weak reverse in PCGS Fine would bring around $240-$260.

Best wishes,
    David
  • Options
    According to the PCGS price guide, a 1922 No D Weak Reverse in Good condition is worth approximately $105.00, which has most likely not been updated in quite some time because I've seen them sell for more than that. The 1922 No D Strong Reverse in Good condition, according to Coin World, is $400.00 so yes, Die Pairs 1 and 3 are worth significantly less than Die Pair 2. Linked below is my low grade VG10 Strong Reverse. image
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    I'm no expert but..... my 22 No is graded F15 SR. The reverse is actually a stonge VF but the obverse is BARELY Fine. It is in an older green label holder and I value it at about $600.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A freind of mine just paid 680.00 for a PCGS F-15 22 "No D" Str rev and was glad to get it. Nice chocalate brown coin, in fact I saw it today.

You can throw the sheets away on the 22 No D str rev IMO, Most PCGS solid Vf's sell for close to XF levels and Xf's sell for AU levels.

My PCGS-53 22 No D "Str rev" I just picked up ran 1200.00 over sheet, and I have not lost a night sleep thinking about the strong premium I paid to get it. In fact I was offered 400.00 more, two day's later, but turn down the offer.

I think this coin is getting ready to take some more solid price advancing this year, the sheet prices have not reflected the true value of these. Even though its technically an error, it has always been considered by many to be a key-date in the Lincoln collection.

THis is only going to be for the Die pair 2 str rev, I think the only reason that Die pairs 1 and 3 have any value at all, is due to a less expensive alternative(or make do piece) to the true No "d"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file