Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

? on possible statehood quarter error

bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi all haven't posted much but do read a lot. This is a great forum.

Yesterday I was shown a 2000 New Hampshire quarter and was wondering if anyone has seen this? The quarter has no mint mark and the "America" in "The United States of America" is barely readable. The rim above America is still full so I don't think it is because of circulation wear.

Just wondering if any of you have any ideas? Could this be classified as an error coin?

Thanks

Ken

Comments

• Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    Probably just a grease filled die. They're not really that rare.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Almost certainly grease filled die. Neat to have and look at, not much value. But if you can post a pic so we can see for certain.
  • Options
    Thanks, didn't know much about the new quarters. Would there be several quarters with a missing mint mark if the die was grease filled?
    Ken
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Most likely. And then the grease will harden and cause other damage to the coin before falling out of the die or getting serviced by a technician.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Wish I had the quarter as I would put on some pics but it was a friend that showed it to me and was asking. I will tell them that it is not rare.
    Ken
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Each state quarter seems to have some feature that commonly comes missing due to being struck through grease. For example on the DE quarter the E in FIRST STATE is often gone, CT it was the word OAK. For NH it was the mintmark that disappeared.
  • Options
    Yes, it's a filled die. I have a New Hampshire quarter that is very much like it. There is no mintmark at all. Also, the 'st' and 'we' in "In God We Trust" are present but weak. I've heard of a few other people having the same type of New Hampshire quarter error but I don't know how common, or uncommon, it is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file