Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1981 Proof set type II? Pics added.

I have a 1981 proof set. How do you tell if it’s a type II?

Any links that I can check out?

Thanks
Thadd...
Novice collector, occasionally selling some coins on eBay. Click HERE to see all my auctions.

Comments

• Options
    It would be very rare for all the coins to be Type IIs. It has been know to happen though. Also, I personally believe there are actually 3 types of mint marks not just 2.

Once you learn the difference, it is very easy to tell them apart. It takes a little while though. I have a registry set with Type IIs and several I made myself and I am also looking for more. I can now tell type Is from IIs and IIIs without a loupe.

Here's a link that'll explain it very well.

If you can post a pic of the coins I can tell you what you have if you are still unsure.

Michael
  • Options
    Here is some pics, the Washington didn't come out too good though. What do you think?

Link

My loops look real tight but not oval like the link. They might be the 3rd type you are talking about. I think I would recognize the type II because the loops are so open with space in the middle.
    Thadd...
    Novice collector, occasionally selling some coins on eBay. Click HERE to see all my auctions.
  • Options
    The Jeff, Kennedy and Roosie all are appear to be Type Is.

The SBA & Lincoln appear to be the Type III, I was talking about. They clearly aren't the normal well rounded S found on the others, but they are lacking the diagnostics of the Type II. This is were I see alot of mistakes made. There are alot of dealers selling these raw as Type IIs at shows I go to and on Ebay.

On Type IIs the serifs are quite bulbous and the top of the S is rather flat looking. And the serif extends beyond the curve of the S. I describe it as a squashed S.

The Washington is too blurry to tell.

Before you rule out type IIs, take this set to a local show or shop. Ask to see a PCGS graded Type II coin and compare for yourself. You will be able to recognize the differences/similarities quite quickly.

Hope that helps
    Michael

• Options
    And I just wanted to add, once you learn the difference, you can cherrypick most dealer's inventory. They almost always screw this up.

I always look for Type IIs when I go to shops or shows. So far I've made out well.

At my local shop, I could have purchased 6 Type II Lincolns for $18. Instead I taught the dealer how to spot these so he wouldn't get ripped off. For my help, he gave me 1 of the coins and now gives me a discount when I go in there.

Good-luck!
    Michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file