Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your name in the holder?

I've been browsing the registry for about 20 minutes now admiring all the great collections and couldn't help but notice that several people have their name listed on the tag inside the holder. Is this something that is done by simply requesting PCGS to do so on a submission form?

I wouldn't be interested in doing it for my coins, just curious how you get your name in there.

Comments

• Options
    You need to have one of the top registry collections to get a pedigree I believe.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Yep, it's called Pedigree service. Top five sets in most categories are eligible to get it free - just pay shipping. Any others, again only in most categories not all, it's $5 per coin.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Wonder if the Pedigree can contain expletives? image
  • Options

<< <i>Wonder if the Pedigree can contain expletives? >>

Like maybe "Friggin PCGS took forfrigginever to undergrade my friggin coin"? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...so I can take my five Dahlonega coins, enter them in the PCGS Registry, be the fifth entrant, and be eligible for a pedigree of my choosing on my holders?
  • Options
    RYK,

I'm not sure if a set that small qualifies. It might, though, so you should pose the question for BJ over in the registry forum. Some sets I know don't qualify are modern sets (ones that are ongoing) and proof sets.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I was told by pcgs I could get a pedigree with one coin as long as the set was in the top five.
  • Options
    I wonder if the Kennedy Proof Short set qualifies? It's an ongoing series, but they won't be minting anymore from the years 1964 through 1970. I'm currently 3rd on the all time finest, but I won't be there as soon as some of the heavyweights get wind of the new set.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    A valuable pedigree. In the rare coin market a pedigree is a contributing factor in the pride of ownership and value of the coin. Coins from famous collections such as Eliasberg, Norweb, Garrett, etc., usually command a premium in the marketplace. If you participate in the PCGS Online Set Registry program and your set ranks in the top five, your set may qualify for the free pedigree service. (Note: the free pedigree service does not apply to modern sets, proof sets, mint sets, and a few other issues.)
    To confirm that your set qualifies for the free Pedigree Service, contact customer service at setregistry@collectors.com. Then mail with your coins a PCGS submission form and a printed page from the set registry that lists your set in the top five.
    Please note: Pedigrees can be up to 22 characters in length. If the coin has a variety designation (i.e. Type 1, Type 2, etc.), this is included as part of the total character count. Please note on your submission form if you would like your coins sequentially numbered. PCGS no longer certifies coins with green inserts.

imageimage
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>PCGS no longer certifies coins with green inserts. >>

WHOA!!!! Is PCGS admitting (semi)publicly that their standards have changed and that not all PCGS slabs are created equal??? They have always maintained that you could trust the grade on any PCGS holder but they won't accept aand certify their own grading themselves? image I love it!!
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I think PCGS should let Braddick pedigree all of his coins!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS no longer certifies coins with green inserts. >>

WHOA!!!! Is PCGS admitting (semi)publicly that their standards have changed and that not all PCGS slabs are created equal??? They have always maintained that you could trust the grade on any PCGS holder but they won't accept aand certify their own grading themselves? image I love it!! >>

http://www.pcgs.com/new_set_registry/benefits.html
    is where that is.
    No idea myself about the green insterts. I have a few coins in green label pcgs holders image
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    After reading the section in Placid's link I can see it as meaning one of wo things. Either they are telling us they no longer use green labels in their slabs, or they are actually saying that they will not certify slabs with green labels as being at the grade shown for registry pedigree purposes. In other words a green label PCGS MS-XX is not as good as a blue label PCGS MS-XX. PCGS Grading stands DO change!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's simply a poorly worded sentence.

Many people like the older holders. I'm sure the intent of the sentence is that if you want to add your name and STILL have a green label, it's not possible to do so. If you send in 50 old green holders, they will come back with your name on the holder on a blue label at the same grade.

I don't think the modern pedigree's are worth anything. Someone putting together a set every 3 years and selling it just doesn't have the same cache as a Eliasberg pedigree, for instance, imho.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file