Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Reviving the old argument - Is it REAL or is it AT - A new toner to look at

Give me your thoughts on this bad girl and why - Bytheway, the reverse is mostly white with just a tad of mellowing - it looks weird because the coin appearst to be PL if not DMPL.

Comments

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I am not going to pass judgement on this specific coin but I have an old NGC slabbed Morgan that has a completely toned blue obverse.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    Very nicely toned pl and dmpl toners are some of my favorites.
  • Options
    The reverse has the color of endroll toning, but none of the darker lines usally associated with it. On top of that, it's all one color. Looks strange, especially the way it moves on and over devices.

The obverse is an entirely different color than the reverse, which makes it look strange to me as well. Overall, it doesn't have enough of the characteristics of NT to make me think it is. So I'm going AT.

But as always, I could be way off on this.

David
    David
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Is that an ulcer on Miss Liberty 's cheek? Yuk!image
  • Options
    I would have to say...Tidy Bowl Toning, or TBT as it is more commonly known as...image
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140

<< <i>The reverse has the color of endroll toning, but none of the darker lines usally associated with it. On top of that, it's all one color. Looks strange, especially the way it moves on and over devices >>

Most of the colors that you see on this reverse are actually due to reflections. As I mentioned, the coin is either a PL or a DMPL under the toning, so it's kinda hard to capture without some reflectivity. Here's an image reflecting white light:

As you can see - there's just a very faint ring of toning around the letters.

<< <i>Is that an ulcer on Miss Liberty 's cheek? >>

LOL - I think what you're referring to there is a patch of toning much like the one on the bangs of her hair image

Frank
  • Options
    is the tone a light blueish to light purple color????
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    The color reminds me of Grape Nehi! image
  • Options
    Yea thats what i thought.. Believe it or not... It is probably from being stored in a Sears and Robuck catalog.. I know it sounds crazy but when i opened the coin collection my grandfather left me in the bottom of the wooden box were two catalogs, every one of the coins that were stored on pages with pictures were tone a beautiful purple, very consistant cover on the side against the coin that face the picture, of course the catalogs were from 1941, but the reverses were white except a very faint yellowish color.. Believe it or not!!!!!
  • Options
    WOW!!! What a MONSTER!!!!! Enjoy. image
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file