Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fake Fake Fake

Look at this 1793 Half Cent. I'ts an electrotype that went up for auction about a year ago by a reputable dealer who sold it as a copy. At the time, I bid up to $200 for it as it would have made a nice addition to my Half Cent type set, even though it's a copy. This guy has managed to convince some people that it's real, and now the bidding is up over $1000! His feedback is just as fake as the coin.
Link

We ARE watching you.

Comments

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    hmmmm, what happened to the 1795 $ that guy was selling?
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    We need scamcrook!!!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Zman, that seller is also being discussed in this thread:

Link
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Quack! Quack!image
  • Options
    Ya know - when I see people bidding crap like this up when every warning sign is screaming out that it's a fraud (few feedbacks - most of which are NARUed, a private auction, the seller giving a long pile of bs about how he found this coin, the seller having multiple 'rarities' up for sale, the seller actually saying that he knows nothing about coin but that some prople have said that this is an electro) I really can't conjure up a whole lot of sympathy for the bidders. Hey, greed works both ways and it takes two parties to make a scam work and one of them is a buyer who is equally as greedy as the seller. Don't bother bombarding me with that crap about taking advantage of 'newbies.' I don't buy the widows and orphans sob stories. I don't doubt for one monent that every last one of those fool bidders hasn't heard the old truth about 'if it seems too good to be true, it is' on multiple occasions and if they haven't learned to take that seriously by now maybe they need a good hosing for it to sink in.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really can't conjure up a whole lot of sympathy for the bidders. Hey, greed works both ways and it takes two parties to make a scam work >>

I have to concur. There are giant neon billboards all over these auctions. Plenty of these bidders are in there simply because they think they might be getting a rip and they're blinded by dollar signs.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Abuell, I certainly see your point and I often ask myself, whether such bidders deserve any help.

My answer is, though the bidders may be equally greedy (or just plain ignorant), at least they are not lying and trying to deceive people, like some of the sellers, whom we've discussed here, are.
  • Options
    Mark-

I can't totally agree with you because they are lying and deceiving themselves into thinking that they are going to pull one over on everyone and get this screamin' deal on the coin. If it ended there I would probably would just shrug and walk away, but these are the exact same people that will blame everyone and everything except themselves when they realize thast they've been duped.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent the seller an email stating that if the authenticity was cahallenged then the right and manly thing to do was end the auction until he knows what he has. I will post his reply and we will see if he tries to play dumb.
  • Options
    Abuell, can we agree, then, that the sellers are lying to others (and perhaps, themselves, too, in trying to convince themselves, that what they're doing is ok), while the bidders are lying only to themselves? image

I still think the sellers are far worse, though.
  • Options
    Mark-

I guess that it's really a matter of deciding which cesspool is more full! I don't plan on crawling down there to check it out.

Just take into account that these are the very same buyers who will run to you ready to cash in on their great buy and then call you a dirty rotten sob for telling them that their rare coin find is a fraud just to try to steal it from them.
  • Options
    As expected I never did receive a reply to my inquiry. CAVEAT EMPTOR
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

In his ad he describes how he is not the legal owner of the coin.

Any item of value that is "found" is required to be turned over to the police. If the legal owner doesn't claim it, then they will return it to person who turned it in. Only then does legal title pass to the person who found it.

You should contact eBay and tell them he's selling stolen property - he admits it in his ad.

Not that eBay will care
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To make room for other things, I have moved my computer to the attic.
    It is handy and out of the way and.............hello.............what's THIS???

A pile of old coins. Let's see.........

1794 dollar, 1804 same, 1793 penny with funny links all over the back, 1808 $2.5 gold piece, 1796 quarter........gee, the guy who lived here must have been OLD..........1797 half, a gold coin with a big star on the back..........goll-eee!

Well, I don't know much about these, but you guys seem to..........so...........I'll sell them to you based on the above description for anything over $500,000. They look like new coins.
  • Options
    At least now we know the real reason it is a private auction; to keep someone from warning the bidders that they are about to get hosed. While I know it is auction interference I would be most pleased if someone warned me. Then again if I see something I really want I never bid till snipe time so it will never show if I'm interested in an item.
  • Options
    Geez, the fake Chain Cent is now at $2225. At this rate the dollar amount for this crook's auctions might even hit a level the Feds would be interested in.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Well, I sent him the following:

<< <i>This Chain Cent is a counterfeit, and you knew that as soon as you listed it. Most of your coins are fakes, and it's obvious you're a scam artist. You have been reported both to eBay, and to the FBI field office in your state. They are on to you, and it would be in your own best interest to shut down your fraudulent auctions now before it is done for you by the authorities. Just a fair warning...Russ >>

Maybe that'll worry him enough to get him to close the auctions before a bunch of people get ripped off.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Well, he responded to the eMail and shut down the bogus auctions.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Great job Russ, though I have it on very good authority that no one was going to get hosed - there is more than one "scamcrook" out there. imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file