Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rim Clips - Real of Fake?

Hi all,
I just purchased this Kennedy Half today at the local Flea market. I thought it was a good price. As you can see it has a rim clip. I'm sure these can be faked but how do you tell? Whats the big giveaway that it has been. Should the missing part match another coin perfectly?
(More knowledge learned on this site than anywhere else!!!)
Thanks all
Tom

Comments

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    A genuine clip has an area of weakness on the rim directly opposite the location of the clip. This is known as the Blakesley effect.

More info on clip diagnostics.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Krank
    Excellent reply. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From what i can see it looks real to me.

Was 5 bucks to much for this thing?

(It seems my bookmarks are growing each day with all web pages out there that need to be read.)
    Thanks
    Tom

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was 5 bucks to much for this thing? >>

That is an excellent price for a genuine clip. Don't you just love flea markets? image

Russ, NCNE
    Russ
    Yes flea markets are great. They and estate sales support my growing coin collection. It's a great way to make some cash. You'd be surprised on what I pick up and turn around and sell on Ebay. There's always one or two guys selleng coins there. I passed up a nicely toned obv Morgan two weeks ago and sure enough it's gone. I'm kicking myself for the price was cheap and the coin was nice.

I also picked up a 51D Franklin that I hoped was also a good price(8 bucks) But since i have no idea on how to grade these thing i just keep collecting them.

Now does anyone need a WWII U.S. Navy BU. Ships Clinometer?
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Franklin's an FBL... probably around MS63 or 64 assuming there is no rub, and luster is present... trends is at $50-$90... nice score!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>passed up a nicely toned obv Morgan two weeks ago and sure enough it's gone. >>

I didn't. And, it became a PCGS MS65. Behold the Flea Market Morgan!

That one brought a tidy sum.

Russ, NCNE
    Airplane
    The guy had a bunch more all labeled AU. I shoulda woulda coulda bought them all. Actually most if not all were FBL's.
    Again for some goofy reason I only picked up this one and a 3 dollar 52P. Some were actually cleaner than this one but for some reason the year 51 was stuck in my mind. Also funds were short because I was carrying around a Clinometer.

Heres the actual 2x2 from the Franklin. It was 11 but a little haggling brought it down.

Thanks
    Tom
    Russ
    I have seen and read about that coin of yours and believe me if his was as nice as that one I would have never passed it up.
    Once get the hang of photographing "toners" I'll post a couple of mine. (So far all my pics have been pretty bad or off the scanner.) But the way I move that might be awhile.

Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file