Home U.S. Coin Forum

If you had a major rarity, would you be sure to...

Say you had a 1913 Liberty Nickel, would you be sure to put together a complete set of Proof Liberty Nickels 1883-1913?
How about an 1804 dollar, would you complete the set 1794-1804, or how about a complete set of ALL U.S. Silver Dollars?
How about the 1894-s Barber Dime, the AG3 Ice Cream Dime, would you complete a nice matched set of barber dimes in AG3?
And finally the 1933 Saint, would you put together a complete set of Saints?

Boy I hope you would! I wouldn't be able to stand it if these sets aren't complete despite the possible existence of a complete set! Personally I think owning one of these extremely rare complete sets would be the ultimate... and the one key would be no more special than a common date!!!

Comments

• I wouldnt. I cant afford a complete set of any of those coins exept maybe the liberty nickels and barber coins which would also be tough. I would probably sell it if i had it. Because the only coins that interest me of the bunch are the 1804 dollar and the Saint.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I'd sell it and buy 1964 proof sets.

Russ, NCNE
  • Were you born in '64 Russ? You sure do like those things...
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, no.

I have been thinking about going thru my collection and using the "box of 20" concept. A dealer promoted this idea back in 1996. In it you fill only one slab box of twenty, always with your best coins. When you make a new purchase one of the existing twenty in the box has to be sold.

I may still fool around with some less expensive unslabbed coins but will stick to the "box of twenty for serious coins.

The coins you mentioned would all fit nicely in the "box of twenty"!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    OK, assume hypothetically you like owning the rarity in question, and since you could afford it, assume you could afford the rest of the set.
  • I stopped counting my slabs a long time ago. I honestly don't know how many there are now. Assuming I could afford the rarities in question, absolutely I would complete the rest of the set.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    While I'd be interested to own the super-rarities, I'd have no interest in completing the sets.

Most of the other coins in these series (with the exception of the Bust Dollars and 1 or 2 dates in the others) are readily available and nothing terribly special. I just don't see the appeal in buying any collectable that is so common.

To me the interesting part is to own something that is really rare and therefore special.
  • That's an interesting concept Colonial. I, for one, collect because I enjoy the history. Not because someone else feels it's "special." If you could afford $8 million to buy the '33 Saint, what's another couple hundred thousand going to hurt to finish off the set?
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Why would you build the (rest of the) set first Laura? Isn't the standard advice to get the keys first? I got an 09-s vdb in 64rd, and a 14-d in 64rb first, and it set the tone for my Lincoln set, 64rb-64rd. I get even P's in 64, a few of which are rb just to even things up with the few tough date D and S red/browns I have.

Of course 09-s vdb and 14-d Lincolns are quite a different thing than 1913 Liberty Nickels!!!
  • I'm building my set of Mercs in proof as we speak. Went after the '36 and '37 first. Now I only need the '40 and '41! Usually such a set takes me approximately 3 weeks to complete when I'm having a good month financially. For a long series, such as Lincolns, well, still not quite finished with those with all the varieties! Guess I should stop somewhere. I go after the keys before the commons also, only because I'd rather buy the keys when they cost less. Commons don't skyrocket in value as fast.

<< <i>That's an interesting concept Colonial. I, for one, collect because I enjoy the history. Not because someone else feels it's "special." If you could afford $8 million to buy the '33 Saint, what's another couple hundred thousand going to hurt to finish off the set? >>

Cherry -

I, for one, collect because I enjoy studying, owning and looking at beautiful and rare coins. What someone else feels is "special" is irrelevant to me.

In my opinion, the least interesting collection to assemble would be a complete date and mint set of anything, with dozens of virtually identical coins. I would even suggest to you that surrounding a 1933 Saint with dozens of very common but virtually identical Saints detracts from the great rarity as opposed to enhancing it.

I would much prefer to take that additional couple of hundred thousand dollars you mentioned and use it to buy one really rare and special coin.

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Were you born in '64 Russ? >>

Bwaaauuaahaaahaaaa...

Russ was there when Moses handed out the Ten Comandments!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Actually many saints are very hard to find these days because they were melted like none other during the 30's.
  • Colonial,

I certainly understand what you're saying. However, with that opinion, isn't a 1933 Gold Double Eagle "virtually" identical to a 1932 with the addition of a 3? That 3 makes that coin worth a great deal of money, yes, but the virtually identical coins in someone's Morgan set, for example, with the addition of a couple of letters on the reverse could mean a few thousand dollars. You might as well assemble one type set and never collect anything else again with that belief.

<< <i>Colonial,

I certainly understand what you're saying. However, with that opinion, isn't a 1933 Gold Double Eagle "virtually" identical to a 1932 with the addition of a 3? That 3 makes that coin worth a great deal of money, yes, but the virtually identical coins in someone's Morgan set, for example, with the addition of a couple of letters on the reverse could mean a few thousand dollars. You might as well assemble one type set and never collect anything else again with that belief. >>

I AM a type collector. I collect colonials, by type, in the highest grades possible. I responded to haletj's original question because I thought it an interesting one.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'never collect anything else again with that belief'. I'm nowhere near completing a colonial type set now, and, even if I do obtain one of each type over the years, with perpetual upgrades I'm quite certain I'll never truly 'finish'.

But to reiterate, a complete date and mint collection of any series doesn't interest me. If it interests you, then thats great - at least we won't be competing with one another at auction.

• Colonial,

Nothin' wrong with that. Was just askin'. image I like colonials as well, especially Fugio's. Since I already have a type set of U.S. coins, I guess I have to latch on to acquiring varieties and things of that nature. Gotta blow my money on somethin', ya only live once!
    Then you need to talk to abuell - he has something like 80 Fugio varieities.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with 291fifth.Al
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The major fault of moderns is that the major rarities tend to be unique or nearly unique.
    Having an example of one would not get you much closer to a complete set. It's also in-
    teresting that the interest and prices in most moderns are surging and the highest prices
    paid for coins seems to be creeping toward the later date coins. These coins in many ways
    are outshining many of the highly desirable and the less desirable old US coins.
    Tempus fugit.
  • I would much prefer selling the 1933 Saint and completing all the other tough empty slots in the set that I lack.

• << <i>Then you need to talk to abuell - he has something like 80 Fugio varieities. >>

Correction - 48 of the 60 known varieties.

CPC: , "Gotta blow my money on something - you only live once." -- Well, you sure are in luck! You'll have the opportunity of a lifetime to blow it all and then some at the first JJF sale in October!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file