Home U.S. Coin Forum

Jefferson Nickel, 1941-S.. large, small, ?micro?

Jefferson nickel collectors... I know there is a large and small version of the S mint mark. My question though, is there a micro version of the mint mark. I have several large type, and bunches of small type. I also have some that appear to be smaller than the small type. Is this possible?? Thanks, Matt

Comments

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    wow i didnt know this...anyone pics?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's possible, but do you think the ones you have could just be one of the others in a late die state? i've seen plenty of mint marks, especially D's, that look almost doubled, a different size or distorted. can you post a picture of some for comparison? nickel being some tough to strike can cause quicker than expected die wear.

al h.image
  • I'll see if I can get some scans done tonight.
  • 3 sizes of mint marks?

Or is it my imagination? The one on the left is the large, the one on the right appears to be small, and the one in the middle appears to me to be smaller????? Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Thanks, Matt
  • littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    The one on the far left is definitely bigger than the other mintmarks. As for the other two smaller ones, to me it looks like they're the same size.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file