Home U.S. Coin Forum

I wrote the Larry Steve Descriptions

I'm the guilty party here, kids, not JK. As a cataloguer, I often wish I had the luxury of concentrating on 120 lots per sale, such as Larry's consignment, but 500-600 others needed my attention as well. I did the best I could with the information supplied to me (never dawned on me to ask Fly-In Club or my good friend Rick Snow for more info than what was given to me with the coins---incidentally, I was FIC #12 but left years ago when the "my coin is infinitesimally more red than yours" crew took over the club). I never meant to mislead anyone, and I also forgot, evidently, that it is far, far easier to criticize than produce. If you feel mislead at all, it's my fault. On the other hand, IHC collectors, when you run out of "varieties" in the Indian cent arena, try Connecticut coppers; then we'll see how sharp you really are! lol Anyway, you caught me, my info was mainly based on current PCGS pops and the like, I make no excuses, and if you're all this well armed with info, cataloguers can make tiny mistakes and the great unwashed masses will still see their way around it...JK and FVV are still the finest cataloguing team in America today! Oh, yeah, one more thing, in retrospect, even JJ Ford, ML Hodder, WH Breen, and JJ Kraljevich, Jr. have made mistakes, I know, I'm forever correcting them! hahahaimage
The Unknown Numismatic Giant

Comments

• Welcome to the Forums Wharptones!!image
  • Thanks, Jonesy, it's nice to be welcomed despite my evident shortcomings!image
    The Unknown Numismatic Giant
  • Welcome to the boards. Don't let the guys(and gals) get to you. Sometimes you have to have thick skin around here.image

• shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to our roast...eh, I mean the forum, Wharptones. I'm not sure there are more than a handful of people who know the finer details about most of the coins in the Steve collection, it's the type of catalog you could spend a month on exclusively. Unfortunately PCGS didn't start recognizing most of them until mid-stream. For example, there are 2 PCGS 1894/1894 MS66RDs and neither appear on the pops -- and that's one of the major varieties.

I'm curious to hear more about the "my coin is infinitesimally more red than yours" crew, seems like the FI Club now has a nice balance of gem vs. "pure" collectors.

• << <i>Welcome to our roast >>

More truth than humor. There are some major cheap shot artists, liars and provacatures on this coin forum. WELCOME! But be prepared!

• STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Roasted Forum Wharptones !

I was wondering if you ever saw a crisper,more defined 1858/7 Flying Eagle cent ??

Which coin is your favorite in the Larry Steve collection being auctioned by B&M ?

Stewart Blay
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the fray, Warped! Glad to have you and your expertise around here.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard, you just need a pail and a shovel to play in this sandbox. Don't worry facts never get in the way of opinions on here. image
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome - didn't mean to come across as critical (which I did) - just wanted buyers to know where the latest info. was. Looking forward to your contributions.

Stewart - that's the (cover) plate coin for Ricks attribution guide, 1856-1858. As you know, Larry often went for the earliest die state rather than the highest grades, making for a great variety collection. Am looking forward to previewing and bidding in Baltimore.

Wharptones - if a collection like this ever comes available again, you should strongly consider hiring someone like Shylock to do the micro-photos. Closeups of the variety diagnostics would add immeasurably to the on-line portion of the sale (catalog too, if possible). He's a master of copper photography.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard! Can I offer you a pre-flight beverage?

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Wharptones. Welcome to the forum. Shortcomings are a mandetory requirement for

acceptence to this Forum.Crabbing, nitpicking, criticism and carping are our main form of amusment.

If it gets too stressful ,a cookie and a glass of milk will settle the nerves.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Waarptones!

How does one become a cataloguer?

Tbig
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Wharptones. I think you might be the first member here who does cataloguing, and it's nice to have you join. It would be interesting to hear how the cataloguing process works!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your stay here.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file