Home U.S. Coin Forum

I think I screwed the pooch on this one!

MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
On 7/3 I mailed in an order to PCGS for regular service, it entered PCGS's system on 7/8. It's a 42 coin regular order (yep I bit the big one and paid $30 a coin for this one!). I figured if I got it in early in the month, PCGS will turn it in 3 weeks (15 Business days), I have the coins in hand by the 1st week in Aug. That gives me 2 weeks to move the coins and pay off AMEX. Great plan! Well I forgot to add in Baltimore! Talking to PCGS customer service I was told to add 10 Business days to the order and the grading gaurentee is not valid because there is a show going on (for 2 friggan' weeks!). I'm hoping (SEE THIS DAVID!!!), that they will make it to sealing before the show, but I'm not holding my breath. Guess I should have checked for the next big show before I submitted them!image
It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• Go online and pay amex a couple hundred a day. I do that and by the time the statement comes in its almost managable. I run 7 to 10 thousand on amex each month and get through 80% pay back before the statement. They will only take one payment per 24 hour period.
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    When does the Baltimore show start?
    I wonder if pcgs didn't check in my submission for 3 days so they could use the show as a reason why they wont be done in 15 days. Hmm...
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Marty,

Navigating the "guarantee" is tricky. Basically there are only aout 4 days a month that you can send your coins in and expect the guarantee to actually be valid.
  • anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    I have never used PCGS and this doesn't entice me to do so. This caviat should be in big bold letters at the top of the guaranty, if thats what PCGS calls it, i certainly do not.

jmo, mike
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    With the title of this thread I thought you and Frankie the Pug were coming out of the closet....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With the title of this thread I thought you and Frankie the Pug were coming out of the closet.... >>

Lucy, that is just soooooo wrong!!!!

• << <i>I run 7 to 10 thousand on amex each month and get through 80% pay back before the statement. >>

you should hit amex up for a blackcard. get 'em on the phone and just hint at it otherwise they may brush you off.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>you should hit amex up for a blackcard. >>

The annual fee is something like a grand. For what? Just to have a black card?

Russ, NCNE
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the black card have accented hair?
  • That's just wonderful. I cracked out and sent back in 7 coins from my last submission that hazed over during the long wait for grading. This "new" submission entered the system on 7-9. I figured if I stepped up to the "regular service" tier I'd get them back by August 1. I didn't realize there was a two week contiguous block of time this month that voided the turnaround guarantee. This is going to be a 25+ business day wait for a regular submission? What did I just pay for?
    Don't know VamCollector. Maybe pcgs should just send a rep to the coin show and leave the graders at home until they are caught up.

I guess if you went for economy it would still be a lot longer.
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    Ah, the smell of coffee....image

Michael

<< <i>Maybe pcgs should just send a rep to the coin show and leave the graders at home until they are caught up. >>

You know they can't do that, all those dealers playing the crackout/crossover game at $100 a pop! At St. Louis the table was full of crossovers, those $100/per coin submissions add up quicker than our little $30/per coin or the $16/per coin economy! Maybe they sould have a couple of graders go to shows and leave the rest for all the coins back in Newport Beach! Hey David, how about if the graders start working some overtime!!!image

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    You know, if you used your money to show your frustration, perhaps they would get the message. I submitted 20 coins under economy at the end of January, and got them back towards the end of April. Since then, I have only submitted three coins. In this time period, I have suubmitted 232 coins to NGC. Take a look at the inventory of any major dealer, some who were at one time over 70% PCGS are now running at 50% or less. The more people show their displeasure by going across the street the more likely HRH and the other PCGS bigwigs will get the message. Why should they make any changes when you keep sending coins to them?

By the way, ten business days of no grading is really ridiculous. Basically they are telling you that a regular submission is going to turn into an economy.

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe pcgs should just send a rep to the coin show and leave the graders at home until they are caught up. >>

You know they can't do that, all those dealers playing the crackout/crossover game at $100 a pop! At St. Louis the table was full of crossovers, those $100/per coin submissions add up quicker than our little $30/per coin or the $16/per coin economy! Maybe they sould have a couple of graders go to shows and leave the rest for all the coins back in Newport Beach! Hey David, how about if the graders start working some overtime!!!image >>

I have never been to a coin show and didn't know that many people were paying $100 a coin for grading that pcgs could make more that way than doing 1 every 10 seconds for $30.

• nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500

<< <i>Ah, the smell of coffee....image

Michael >>

Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
    Maybe David can answer the question, how many graders are at PCGS and how many of the total amount of graders will be going to Baltimore? I would figure 3 or 4 graders will be at the show. For walkthrough service the coin has to be looked at by three graders and one mone for the final verifaction. So how many does that leave in CA working on our coins???

• Marty's logic is probably correct. In that case, PCGS needs to start charging $100 per regular submission. That would slow things down and everyone would get their coins on time. image
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>because there is a show going on >>

I never could understand this bullshirt logic. There's a show going on...WHOOPDIEFRIGGINDOO! What does PCGS do, close down their grading business everytime there's a GD show? Do they pack up all the graders in a big trunk and send them off to grade at a show?

Just another load of BS so that they don't have to live up to their guaranteed timeline.

I'm beginning to think this whole slab thing is just one great big scam.

Just my two-cents (US)

Cheers,

Bob
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    >>I never could understand this bullshirt logic

I agree, look at the show schedule. There is at least a show a month all year, and when you think that a "regular" submission is 15 busiess days (actually 16) - a.k.a. 3+ weeks its hard not to hit at least 1 show a month.
  • At the very least there ought to be a reasonable threshold if a "show" schedule bumps into a submission. For example: If I am 13 or 14 days into a regular submission when a show starts is it reasonable to add a couple of weeks more? IMO its a cop out. Shouldn't my coins have seen a grader at this point? I could maybe see it if my coins were received a few days before the blackout period but ANY overlap voids the turnaround guarantee? I'm upset because I have two "regular" submissions in right now (one raw and one regrade) that apparently are going to take 25+ business days.
    Did the coins get graded yet MadMarty?
  • ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>With the title of this thread I thought you and Frankie the Pug were coming out of the closet.... >>

Lucy, that is just too much!image
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    I submitted thruogh a dealer(30 day) the last time, it took 20 extra day for that. So they said, well it was about 90 days. keck I'm sending them to PCGS the for the Regular 15 day thing, its only $5.00 more the the (30 day) dealer charged for 90 days.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
    Actually I did get the coins back in 15 days (whew), I had to promise PCGS my immortal soul and first born male child! That was the order with the crapload of AU58s and the 1961 MS65FBL Frankie!

• I once sent a coin for 1 day walk thru service @ $100. Several days after pcgs rec'd it, I got a call from pcgs customer service saying "we cant grade your coin because all the graders are at a show!" Not even an apology! I made a bit of a stink about it and from then on they have modified the grading guarantee to say (guarantee void when major shows are taking place). I finally got my "walk -thru " back after 16 days!!!!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file