Home Q & A Forum
Options

Body Bagged, but is the Coin Genuine?

I recently sent for certification a few of those coins that are known for often being counterfeited/altered. You know, the 1909-S-VDB, 1932-D, 1916-D type coins. Most of these were not MS-64s or 65s, but lessor grade coins some average collectors might be able to afford. While most of these were slabbed, 2 of these came back in their little see through bags. One marked old cleaning and the other marked damage. Yes, I agree that bag marks are damage. The biggest draw back to me as a collector and future seller is that the grading service has failed to state whether the coin is genuine or not genuine. I do not have a problem with putting coins in body bags, However, I would like to see these important key coins put into a slab stating that the item is genuine and the problem with the coin. There are too many altered and counterfeit coins on the market, often confusing buyers. Why do we have to go to less popular grading services to get semi-problem coins slabbed as genuine?
RAB

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    This is a very interesting question. We do not holder problem coins because the majority of our customers don't wwant us too. They feel it degrades other PCGS coins, i.e. the PCGS coins they own. But what about authenticity? I understand that it would be a benefit to know if a cleaned 1932-S quarter was genuine. However, if we put it in a holder then we have the "problem coins in PCGS holders" problem.

As other second and third tier grading services holdering problem coins, I think ti's a business decision they make that is based on their need to get some revenue One of the things they can do is to grade coins that PCGS won't

Thanks,

David