Home U.S. Coin Forum

An Example of when a "Problem Coin" isn't really a problem at all.

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3034143377&category=11963

I think this eBay Seller is absolutely right. Here is an example of a rare coin that is appealing at a tremendous price break due to "problems".

I'd rather own this than one that is worn out with a loss of detail and possibly 'hidden' problems the owner won't tell you about or the Service didn't catch.
What do you think?
(Added bonus: these 1796 quarters practically never come so well struck.)

peacockcoins

Comments

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    They should start a new category name for whizzed.

Collector Wear. It means the owner(s) rubbed on it so much it only LQQKS like wear.
    But it aint. Its collector wear.

Hows that one.
  • You raise a great discussion braddick. It is my opinion that many of these services just take a guess when it comes to whizzing, tooling and artificial toning. Mind you, some of it is quite obvious but I don't think such an exceptionally struck piece such as this one should be net graded down by 20 points simply because of some whizzing that is probably extremely minimal, if it is there at all. These coins are very old and I think it's time that they not treat them so harshly in the grading room. JMO.
  • toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    I just checked Heritage auction archive and found one in EF40(PCGS) sold for $15KLink The coin was auctioned last Sep....I know these are getting expensive day by day, but it was not very long ago we could get problem free example for almost the same price.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file