Home U.S. Coin Forum

Whats the grade on this coin?

I know the pictures arent great (they arent my pics) but what do you think this would grade at NGC or PCGS (especially, is it AU or MS?).

imageimage
Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.

Comments

• i like it as a low end '63 if only for the reeding marks in the obv field. otherwise a very nice piece assuming the low luster is a fault of the photography.
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    No rub on the tip of the crown that I can see, Hair is a bit weak over the ear, from photo can't tell if it is wear or not. A bit baggy, would say 61 if the ear hair is not worn. 55 if it is, because of the bag marks
  • I agree with the Boz. Too many marks on the coin's surfaces and too much luster impairment in the fields.
  • Too many gouges at 11 o'clock on the obverse and around the eyebrow for me. Looks like it has a little bit of wear, on top of a weak strike. I go with 55 also.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Whizzed, altered surfaces, net VF.

Russ, NCNE
  • If thats wear on the curls over ear then AU53, if not, then MS62. That nasty mark at 11:00 is what will keep it at low end of either range!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Yes it's uncirculated but it has been cleaned. Is the cleaning bad enought to keep it out of a slab? I would have to see it in person to tell for sure. Are there any heavy hairlines? mike
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Seems to have zero luster, and the color change around the eye socket makes her appear to be wearing a mask. Cleaned would be my first blush too.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file