Home U.S. Coin Forum

Three reasons why I love proof coinage:

1) Mirrors are better because you can see how handsome you are in them...

2) Proof coins are more expensive so you can brag to your friends about how much money you have and how you can afford REAL coins with mirrors while the other folks just have to collect stuff that was taken out of pocket change, albeit 200 years ago....

3) You can always turn a proof coin into a mint state coin by double scrubbing it with some baking soda (more than normally when you want to bring out the glorious shine of a proof coin)....pounding on a mint state coin to give it mirrors just gets you a washer without a hole in it.

adrian

(Marty....YOU'RE MAD! MAD I TELL YOU! STARK RAVING MAD! (I'm running around right now screaming MAD! MAD! MAD! and frantically waving my hands in the air.....my kids, 4 and 6 (Yahwanna and Shesqueala) are looking at me like we just put on the battle scene from Lord of the Rings - Two Towers...."Daddy....snif, snif....I don't like dat......"...anaconda2 is yelling "Go Dad, Go!")

Comments

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(Marty....YOU'RE MAD! MAD I TELL YOU! STARK RAVING MAD! (I'm running around right now screaming MAD! MAD! MAD! and frantically waving my hands in the air.....my kids, 4 and 6 (Yahwanna and Shesqueala) are looking at me like we just put on the battle scene from Lord of the Rings - Two Towers...."Daddy....snif, snif....I don't like dat......"...anaconda2 is yelling "Go Dad, Go!")
    >>

Adrian,
    Pick up 2 nicely toned Proof Jefferson from Jason and call me in the morning, everything will be OK!!! He has some ANACONDA quality ones!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• I totally agree with numero uno. If im buying a very nice coin I atleast want to see my handsome face in it. And I would probably have to sell my mirror to buy it so its a must.
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Marty:

Done. You're right, i feel a little better now, although my throat now hurts.

I don't know what came over me. I think i'll lie down now.
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    did someone say anaconda proof coins?

1962 Jefferson PCGS PR69

1964 Jefferson PCGS PR69
  • That nickel reminds me of a song......"blue on blue, heartache on heartache" were some of the words. (Lucy might know the one i'm talking about). Nice coin but i like 'um with some reds and golds among the blue.
    The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3. Scrubbing and polishing up a proof coin until it's a VF doesn't change its method of manufacture. It's still a proof. Likewise for a MS coin. Regardless what you do to it, it's still a business strike.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Big Snake...you forgot #4 If you are late to work, you can use them to shave by on your drive into work!!image Also #5.....Proofs are good as reflective SOS signals in the event you are lost!!! image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Older proof coins from the 1800's and early 1900's are undervalued.
    And they are much better looking than the newer modern coins.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file