Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the difference between "TYPE" & "VARIETY"?

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted this at the end of another thread that died, so I'll try again here-

What is the difference between a "type" and a "variety"? The other thread I posted this question on was about the new
Ike "types" 1, 2, and 3. I would have been under the impression that the new Ike "types" were really "varieties".

The reason I say this is in relation to the Standing Liberty Quarter & Buffalo Nickels. Each has a type 1 & type 2 where there
was a distinct & deliberate design change. I thought varieties covered subtle and/or not so intentional changes, through lack
of detail or quality consistency. For example, like many varieties of Morgan Dollars that have differences similar in significance
to the Ikes.

Teach me grand masters of numismatics!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• Type is a change in devices or legends. Variety is distinct to a particular pair of dies. For example, currently there are 60 known varieties of Fugio coppers - distinct die combinations. Off the top, I would guess that there about 10 major types.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

So simply put-

A variety is only attributed to a particular set of dies or die.

A type is a deliberate change made over many sets of dies.

Correct?

• Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    To me a tpe is an intentional or legislated change in design such as the 1913 nickels with mound and line types, the type I and II standing Liberty quarters, or the type I and II bicentennial dollars. In each case a deliberate change was made to the design.

A variety is an unintentional or unofficial change made to the design such as the type I and II 79-S and 81-S SBA dollars.

Abuell's definition of varieties is actually that of DIE varieties which are the individual differences between dies. EVERY die pair is a different die variety. Note that in the example I give of variety this difference can occur over several different dies so it doesn't fit Abuell's definition.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I thought `type 1, type 2` , etc... WERE varieties.

Whichever type it is, 1, 2, 3 , is the definition of that variety.

Is that wrong?

Now a TYPE coin is different. Thats a coin that is a ,hopefully, high grade coin that represents your best
    example of that series.

One high grade example of all the series and denominations minted.
    That would be a nice collection.
  • GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Laymans terms:

Variety is a distinct and distinguishable feature of a die, whereas Type is a distinct and distinguishable change in the design.

Some of the examples mentioned are both varieties and type changes, and therefore somewhat confusing.

When something is added or removed (not simply polished away) on the master die you have a new type. When a change occurs thru wear and tear or die maintenance it is a variety.

Of course, every rule has an exception, but I think you get the general idea.
    Gilbert
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the replies- image

So really what are the new Ike designations, type or variety?

According to information in THIS POST I would imagine that the TYPE 1 is just that, the TYPE 2 is really a variety,
    and the TYPE 3 should just be TYPE 2?

I understand thanks to those who helped explain it to me, but now I'm wondering if PCGS has is right on these Ikes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file