Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dating slabs - good idea?

Would there be any benefit to putting dates on slabs (i.e., the year that the coin was slabbed)?

I think it might complicate things. For example, a "2003 MS 65 1921 S1$" might be worth more or less than a "2004 MS65 1921 S1$" if the grading is perceived as tighter during one of those years. It would add a new dimension to pricing coins in slabs.

What do you think about the idea of dating slabs?

Dan

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you think about the idea of dating slabs?

hey dan

i much prefer dating women, but every once in a while i'll take a coin along just for, well, the fun of it. i'm really gonna mix things up in July when i take my, uh, girlfriend to Baltimore. she's the one that looked at the photo of a certain woman in a plastic holder and asked what was up with the pimple on her chin!! women, ya know!! they are so jealous. so far i haven't been given any ultimatums, such as her or me but you can't have us both. geez.

al h.image
  • TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    why not?? i would be for this dating of the slabs

but for me

in the end when all is said and done

it is the coin and nothing else

weather it be an old slab
    a brand new slab
    a coin that has been resubmitted 50 times
    or a coin everyone knows just got upgraded the most of any coin ever submitted in coindum

all that really matters is the coin

and if you cant do ALL the above that is OKIE you spends your money and takes your chances

JUST LET THE BUYER BEWARE
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    look at the coin yourself in the holder
    make sure you know and understand what you are looking at
    know exactly what this coin is worth today for cash out of the holder
    say to yourself is the money better folded in my pocket or this coin?
    buy coins only for fun as a hobby
    with discretionary funds money you can afford to lose

then after all this make your decision i hope you make all the right ones!!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

then i thinks you will do very well in coins

and at the very least barring any extraordinary unpredictabe circumstances in this crazy world you should at the very least get your money back

i have no doubt there are some exceptions to the rules as per the above where coin sellers can sell coins and make huge profits in a short period of time but most of that is with the coin sellers selling to coin buyers
    with limited experience in the market
    lots of money to spend
    and huge expectations and other passions that cloud their minds as such with visions of sugar plums from many coin sellers

such is the co(i)n game

sincerely michael
    hey michael

quite a bit of wisdom in that post, especially the part that you bracketed with all the ++++++'s. one thing that is rather interesting to me about this hobby is that if i pay attention to what i'm doing, if/when i sell what i've enjoyed as a hobby, i'll get a respectable percentage back, maybe even on the +++++ side of 100. with most hobbies i've indulged in, the money spent is gone for good and the memories are all that remain. we get that here, too.

thanks for a well structured post.

al h.image
  • Now what? We will have "Vintage" slabs (Ah! 1991 was a good year!). Why not work on ways to simplify collecting instead of making a complicated hobby, even more complicated than it needs to be?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is an idea that has merit.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Yes, that information is useful as the grading companies have difficulties staying consistant over time. Any information that is useful should be included on the slab as that is its purpose.
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I can see the price guides now with seventeen columns for each grade, one for each year of PCGS operations and a new column is added every year.
  • No really, people aren't becoming more focused on the plastic and labels over time...
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

It should be dated.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• I don't think grading services should date slabs because it might screw up the market by selling two "identical" looking coins for a different prices.
    Dating slabs - good idea?

.........and have you ever gone on a blind date?? talk about a sight-unseen nightmare. it's always best to at least have a picture.

al h.image
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Dates should be on slabs in order to recognize that grading standards change with the graders and this would be a good way to track changes in graders; however, PCGS will NEVER do it.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think grading services should date slabs because it might screw up the market by selling two "identical" looking coins for a different prices.

Grading services can't screw up markets. Hell, not even dealers can screw up markets. The only ones that can screw up markets are our lawmakers.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file