Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

excuse me, what's a "pop" ?

I'm still not up on all the coin lingo. What's a "pop" ? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Short for "population". The number of coins in a given grade.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    In terms of coins, "pop" is short for population, which is the same of a population of people. A "pop" is the number of coins in a certain series, grade, date, mintark, and/or etc.

On the other hand, if you dont specify that you are talking about coins, the answer could be veerry different....image
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Ever hear of Coca Cola? Ever heard it called "POP"? The first two answered your question. Maybe you should start a thread for everyone to post COIN LINGO. Or maybe I will do it.

HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    actually, in my neck of the woods, Coke is called "soda".
    But really, I appreciate the info. Pop is population. I should
    have figured that out.
    How about " whizzed" ? I think that means cleaned but I'm not sure.
    How do I start a "lingo " thread ? or have I already done it ?
    Thanks
  • Options
    IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
    Whizz is when you go into the bushes..........oh, that kind of whizzed.

It's when a coin, almost always nickels, are treated with a wire brush to simulate luster on a coin. Artificial flow lines created by a brush are almost always circular orbiting the center of the coin while natural flow lines radiate from the center outward. They can be very deceiving to someone who isn't used to them. A loupe will show the tiny scratches.
    "...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    ...Also: "Pop goes the weasel"

Called my dad "pop" once in awhile.

I "pop"ed a few heads in high school in my early years when they were tying to get over on me!

I've reached the age now where a few of the young wise guys at the mall refere to ME as "pops"! image

........and........i swear i heard a "pop" on my wedding night in 1977! (actually the 3rd night after the wedding......it took awhile! And all this after a 2 1/2 year engagement. I'm a patient sort!) image
    The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    "pop" is a bogus number used as a marketing tool by coin dealers who push slabs. it doesn't actually represent anything, other than the number of coins the plastic co's have allowed to achieve certain grades.

K S
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743

<< <i>"pop" is a bogus number used as a marketing tool by coin dealers who push slabs. it doesn't actually represent anything, other than the number of coins the plastic co's have allowed to achieve certain grades.

K S >>

Now that's a profound profundity!image
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    Its when the price bubble bursts!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    This might be a first, but I agree with Karl!
  • Options
    Wont be long before someone sells coin recognition software, then the companies will know if their dealing with a crackout!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file