Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should PCGS start net grading damaged/corroded coins?

If PCGS started to net grade damaged or corroded coins, they'd get an awful lot of business from people trying to cross ANACS net-graded coins. Do you think we'll ever see it? Would it matter to you?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Net grading sucks to put it bluntly.

NCS does it right as far as I'm concerned. I don't need someone to essentially place a value on a coin. Leave it to the buyer to determine how much any problem might affect the value.

I will never use anacs again as long as NCS is in business.

Plus NCS's holders are fantastic looking.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    No, nyet, non, nao and nein!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with net grading coins with big problems is that the net grade communicates very little about the coin's qualities. NCS has it right.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PCGS would rather leave the problem coin segment of the market to ANACS, NCS, and the 3rd tier.

I'd vote NO.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    NO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

but currently pcgs and ngc does net grade lots of damaged coins!!!!

sincerely michael
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    get real - they already do!!! the problem is that they don't TELL you when they do. so, they are inconsistent, which flies in the face of what most of the adulating public thinks.

K S
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I think PCGS has it about right now. For very early coins, they clearly engage in some net grading, and I think it is the right policy. I have a 1796 dime with a strong strike an AU details. It is graded XF45 by PCGS, probably to reflect a few pinscratches on the reverse. As a 20th century coin, it would have been bagged, but I believe it was the correct decision to slab this one, and the net grade is plausible.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't need someone to essentially place a value on a coin. Leave it to the buyer to determine how much any problem might affect the value. >>

Karl is absolutely right. It works both in up- and downgrades and is called market grading.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file