Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Genuine Coin Or Counterfeit???

Is this real or counterfiet?? The face looks funny if you ask me.

Real Or Fake???

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Without being able to measure and weigh it I will guess it's probably genuine.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey jay

that's a nice looking error. it seems that the lighting is just throwing the picture off and the coin is probably dark. have you e-mailed or asked him any questions?

al h.image
  • Options
    Here are some cleaned up images.

• Options
    obv. image
  • Options
    The thing that bothers me is the texture across the top of the cap and it appears to extend to the hair somewhat. I did talk to the seller and he said that the texture you see in the picture is indeed on the coin. And that face just looks a little budgy for some reason, the cheek does not seem to flow right.

Al, how does this picture look. http://www.rotateddies.com/76bi-25cb.jpg
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I get a funny feeling about this Morgan.

It just doesnt look right to me.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    One way to make one of these fakes (I've seen it in person with a CT State Quarter) is to get two coins. You hollow out one to be like a cake pan and then grind off the rim and the back of the second one. You then place the smaller one inside the larger one. With a strong loupe or scope, you'll be able to see the seem and perhaps some soldering.
  • Options
    I would normally say that this is a rotated coin with a chip on the obverse die, but I have recently been studying chinese silver dollar counterfeits. Many of the better chinese counterfeits are die struck and are almost realistic, but are made with medal alignment, which could be what this coin is. I suggets you try to see if there is a die combination like this in the VAM encyclopedia (I would help, but the encyclopedia I ordered hasnt arrived yet).
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    The stars don't look right, and the one near the E is hardly there. The rims look thin, and some of the lettering looks too close to the rim. Look at Pluribus. The surfaces look wavy.
  • Options
    This coin is Bogus! The "I"'s in United and America are wrong. The chin geometry is not even close. Many of the design proportions on the coin are off. The coin surfaces look wrong, particularly on the cap. The rims and lettering relationships are wrong.
  • Options
    I'm far from expert, but I've seen enough Morgans to know this one just looks "off." The face looks like it was struck from aluminum.

• Options
    Besides, what does the seller mean by this: "This may be due to a U.S. minting error or counterfeit minting." ??
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    There are a lot of 1896 and 1921 fakes running around on the German side, this one looks like one of them. The portrait looks way off in terms of Libertys face shape and the waviness in the fields.

Even if it were real, it's not in decent shape.
    Mark
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Comparing the rim near UNUM, with the coin in question on the right, and an NGC slabbed coin on the left.

image"Darkside" gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file